New film score

thebluemask

Just finished scoring a new feature film from a US director. It's a full length (approx 75 mins) black and white noir thriller where disparate characters eventually coincide with various consequences.

I had just under four weeks to score the film from receiving the rough cut until submitting the final score. The track here is a medley (I hate that word - reminds me of Stars on 45...) of the more dramatic aspects from the score. It's a mix of approx 10 and a half mins of cues from the full score which is just over an hour. There's excerpts from 8 cues whereas the full score contains 16 cues.

I've left out the more ambient parts/sound design as they probably won't make much sense without the visuals.

As the film is now edited, locked and finished, I can't change any sonic aspects but I'm wondering whether to put this mix on my website/showreel.

There's piano, strings, cinematic sound design, guitars, bass, percussion, beats, soundscapes et al in there and if any of y'all can be bothered to listen to (part of) it, I'd appersheeyate any feedback as to the effectiveness or otherwise of the mix.

Score medley - better quality mp3 :

Score medley - wma lo-fi for dialup peeps : http://www.resq.org.uk/thebluemask/sound/asx/medley.asx

thebluemask,

I poured a glass of red wine (Rose) and put on my Plantronics USB headphones...

Very Good Work! :bigeyes:

When I hear material this good, I wonder why the major USA TV networks use old British Pop for their themes? :mad:

Yes, put it on your site and a list of your toys & tools if you dare to reveal your secrets.

Zenzilla

Thanks for listening.

With regards to the sequencers and toys used, it's all pretty standard stuff. Apart from traditional electric/acoustic guitars, it's all software.

I use Sonar Producer 3 as my sequencer, East West Symphonic Orchestra, various soft synths such as Absynth, Synth 1, even Dreamstation, Rhodes/Piano and other soundfonts and then just layer things up.

I've put the track on my website now. Thanks for your comments.

Whoa! Very nice work! I'm just starting to get into scoring a little bit, but my beats don't sound anywhere near as full as your's! But, then again, I've only been making beats since this Christmas, so I wouldn't expect to sound like you yet!lol How long have you been scoring?

mixes sound fine for a bgm
would have been cool if you stuck some bali style voices on top of some tracks but maybe that's to clich'e
not much harmony though...but for bgm good job.

Wow this is nice! I see you're from the UK too, it's always nice to hear what people are doing on our side of the pond. I want to get into something similar too so this was really inspiring to hear. Thanks for sharing mate.

Ain't Absynth the best?!?

Good work, bluemask. What's the name of the film? Is it going theatrical? D2DVD?

I too scored a film last year w/ SONAR3 - i've since upgraded to SONAR4 producer, but now can't find gigs!

Once again, you've obviously got a good ear for this kind of thing. I hope to hear more of your work.

-fg

Thanks fg

I hope I wasn't too blatant with Absynth...

The time constraints of three weeks from getting the film until submitting the final score (and only working in the evening after day job) meant I didn't have as much time as I'd have liked to experiment with certain sounds. The film was originally titled "B-Lines" but I believe it's to be changed to "The Intersection". The director is actually coming to the UK this week from NY and we're hopefully going to meet up.

I'll check out your link. I've heard some of your stuff before and you've got a good balance of musical ideas and production technique. A lot of stuff I hear elsewhere tends to sway a little left or right of those parameters.

How are you finding Sonar4? I'm using S3 Producer and haven't upgraded yet as I only got that about six months ago. The initial feature list didn't sound like a major upgrade but then again it's usually the little extras that can dramatically speed up your workflow.

Work does seem to have gotten a little thin on the ground as of late. I had a couple of manic months and now it's gone dead again.

Thanks for the comments. Keep us posted on any new work.

thebluemask said:

I hope I wasn't too blatant with Absynth...

Ahh , you never have to worry about that outside of musical circles . %99.9 of the people who hear it will have no idea what you used !!

Back