Need some sound design help, desperately

Rossimus

​Now I've been really, REALLY racking my brain, and annoying my friends, asking them to help me figure this bit out, but to no avail. So I thought id find someone in the producing world, who already kicks ass at getting the tones just right.

its the blazing, loud buzzy chord sound that kicks in at around 51 seconds im looking to recreate.
If you could help an aspiring musician out it be GREATLY appreciated
I imagine the same rules apply for most VSTs, but i would prefer Massive/Sylenth1/Serum
Anyways, I really hope to hear from one and all, and see you handle this little challenge!

Cheers! -Ross Miles

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a relatively simple saw patch, really...

Well, it being simple is relative to how good one is at sound design, which I am not.
So I thought I'd reach to the community for help. Dont make me feel like an ass, for asking questions.

He didn't say anything out the ordinary lol sometimes it's best to just open a vst and experiment, and read synthesis books to get the ball rolling.

The basics of synthesis make it easy to use more than one synth because it applies to most of them except the really unique ones.

Thats all i wanted, a little bit of direction.
Any reads you'd particularly suggest?
And i wasnt trying to be snappy, just dont want to feel stupid asking for help.

I'd give a link and you are gonna be mad for me not givin no links but dude trust me when I say it's better to just watch a youtube tut on synthesis
from this 80's white man

This applies to most, if not all synths and I will list a few types of synthesis off the bat.
Subtractive
additive
wavetable

These are as basic as it's gonna get. Fm and additive a whole different ballgame. Granular too.
This is an example of a regular synth [TAL NoizeM4k3r]

Also I think there's a post Yumid made about this too, did they sticky his thread in beginner section?

Last edited:
Well, it being simple is relative to how good one is at sound design, which I am not.
So I thought I'd reach to the community for help. Dont make me feel like an ass, for asking questions.

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel like an ass. I meant that it's really really simple - sound-design wise there's almost nothing going on, except plain, basic saw waves - the attack is slightly softened by the amp envelope (meaning the attack isn't at zero) and the filter cutoff isn't quite wide open. But that's about it - no envelope trickery, no complex waveforms, no modulations to speak of. The rest of the sound comes from the sidechained compressor pump (the kick triggers a compressor making other sounds duck out) and the pitch bends (that don't have anything to do with the sound itself).

BOOM
You guys are awesome.
Exactly what I needed, just a little direction.
Appreciate the help!

Krushing, i got defensive, so that didnt help. thnks for elaborating a bit, I can see how it was kind of a noob question now.
Ive started watching the vid (is this guy related to Napoleon dynamite?)
and can tell its going to teach me tons. Nice to see the basic elements havent changed over the years.
ill check said book out as well!
If anyone has any other suggestions, im all ears!
Cheers

First find out how your different, second find out how other people do what they do, third repeat.
"You can't reinvent the wheel, but your can put your own twist on it!" - Raij

https://soundcloud.com/raijinfinity

Back