need some help/advice

alrightythen

hey guys ive been told a few times that i need to layer my sounds more or fill out the whole stereo image more or something. Just wondering if someone could eleborate a bit more in detail about the whole thing or direct me to some useful threads where its probly been brought up numerous times.
anyways as far as i layer, i normal have my chord progression on piano playing from c2-c4 or around there then ill add in a bass part and keep that in c2 ocatave or lower if it sounds good say for my more sub bass sounds if im using it. then play a top line melody thats normaly higher up the ocataves anyways is this what they mean or they saying more like layering synths in which case do i just then use different synths with band pass filters on them so i can control the frequencys i want them in then layer different synths or using eq instead of band pass filter? anyways hope i made sense thanks

<3 music

Honestly dude when they're saying layer your sounds they mean just that. EQ ing can make a sound more prominent or clearer or fit better in a mix but it's not gonna make it bigger or more filling if you want that u have to layer. For instance say I have a saw bass at maybe c4 adding a sine bass an octave or two lower can add a lot of depth and feel.one common thing done in edm is breaking the bass element of a track into pieces maybe have one synth for character another one that adds dimension and another to fill out the low in end (sine waves work really well for that :) )and then use some eq to control things a bit.

Back