Need some advice reproducing this tech house bassline?

mrNABnovice

Hello everyone,

Been struggling with reproducing the bass sound from the track "Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine (D.Ramirez Remix)"........I am new to this forum, so I cannot post links just yet. Please refer to the song on Youtube if you can:-)

Is it some sort of a really low pass filtered saw wave with added portamento and/or pitch modulated by LFO? What would the note sequence look like for the bassline? Really want that jackin feel to it!!! Thanks in advance

Don't use an LFO for the pitch, use automation or a pitchbend wheel. Bear in mind that the glide sounds pretty natural, with the frequency distance covered speeding up as time goes by. Using a simple portamento wouldn't get the changing speed of the glide.

A lpf saw would do the trick, but you need to play around to find the sweet spots for the cutoff, and also for the resonance (make sure the resonance is very low or it will sound like a psytrance bass lol). Try layering it with a simple sine sub-bass as well, much quieter though.

The note played in this track is a low G (prob G1), then the note is held whilst the pitch is bent (again, I'd suggest either automating the pitch bend or using the wheel) up approximately 5.5 semitones. It basically sounds like its going from G to C, but it gets sharper than that so along with the speed of the pitch bend you'd need to pay close attention to the final pitch. To me it sounds somewhere between C and C-sharp (I have perfect pitch so you can trust me ;)).

Depending on what softsynths you own, there are other options for the wave you use. If you use NativeInstruments Massive (as many people do), you could look at using the 'GuitarPulse' wavetable to get the right sound.

Hope I helped, and if you have any other questions just ask.

Hello everyone,

Been struggling with reproducing the bass sound from the track "Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine (D.Ramirez Remix)"........I am new to this forum, so I cannot post links just yet. Please refer to the song on Youtube if you can:-)

Is it some sort of a really low pass filtered saw wave with added portamento and/or pitch modulated by LFO? What would the note sequence look like for the bassline? Really want that jackin feel to it!!! Thanks in advance

give us a poor-mans' youtube link watch=v?etc

Do what I did to find it, bandcoach.

1. Load up YouTube.

2. Search "Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine (D.Ramirez Remix)".

3. Click on a video that matches the search.

4. Listen.

yeah, except that with a name like that there is bound to be more than one version, so I would rather be pointed at the right one than guess and have it blow up in my face..... Don't be so **** sure of everything do, it takes more than a little time to get to know the ropes around here and even more time to know whether you should tug on someones cape....

There are 3 version which are exactly the same (7:38 in length), and one which is just a clippet of the build up and drop. All four versions have the synth in question. You can trust me, I wouldn't have said anything if I was wrong.

sorry trust is hard earnt with me, and with less than 100 posts, I have little to base that trust on.......

@op: please post a poor-man's youtube link.....

Thanks, will try your suggestion out asap!! I use sylenth btw, so i'll have to use the wheel to automate pitch bend... i might look for plugins that do the same with more control. Thanks for your help!:-)

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

There's only one version of "Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine (D.Ramirez Remix)"... anything shorter than the normal 7:38 minutes would be a teaser/trailer for commercial purposes and would still possess the bassline i was referring to. Like you said, it "takes time to learn the ropes" and you obviously didn't take the time to research all the "different versions" of this remix to learn that there really is only one version. As I stated in my first post, I'm new to the forum and cannot post any youtube links. I have to make 20 posts before I can post any links, according to this site.

Back