Need help understanding writing Harmony for Melody that represents the songs Vocals.

Alska

Alska
Hey everyone, hope you're alright today. SO since these past few months I've been learning how to play piano on my own through watching videos and reading some articles and such. I'm got the basics down, chords, how melody works and chord progression, Majors and minors ( although I still have to practice minors since the music I generally make is more happy. I make Japanese pop/Electro/Electro house )

I've been using vocal synth programs for a while and have been into it since 2008 or so, so my vocals are usually always digital. Back then though I didn't do much I usually only used them to help me practice Japanese. Now that I'm doing my best to be a music producer I'm writing full songs now, and just recently start working on vocals. I generally start with a melody that represents the vocal and after I'm done with that I find myself trapped, due to the fact that I'm not sure how to make a harmony out of it for the chorus. The kind of chorus effect I'd like to achive is basically layering the different harmony and then panning one left, and another to the right and leaving the main vocal in center. Similar to this :

I understand that harmony notes are generally the notes that are either the 3rd or 5th key from the root note correct? Like if your root note is C then it will be C , E , G. When I try this for some reason it just doesn't come out correct.

Here is a screen shot of what my vocal key melody looks like. The song is in C Major: http://puu.sh/gQiXD/874410b714.png

I'm lost to how I would go about obtaining that desired harmony layering with the melody I have with for my vocals basically. I've tried going C3 and putting a note at E3 for the higher vocal and one at A2 for the lower side of the vocal and etc but nothings working. I'd seriously appreciate some help right now. Writing songs for vocals is going to be a big part of what I do in the future and struggling with harmony seems to be my only issue right now, at least I hope so. Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble!

Back