need help with melody writing?

DJMSherman

Rookie Audio Producer
im not musical, or have learned anything musically. I cant even tell you how keys a standard piano has........lol

I learned by mr. google, that if you keep your melody within 12 keys and play all the white keys you should be ok.

my question, I think im getting better at writing chords, therefore, I use the top keys in my triad chords and usually go up 1 octave to start my melody writing...is this ok?

I have started to make music about 4 years ago, with no guidance at all. I can only learn so much from you tube......need some help or basic what not to do when writing melodies.

thanks!

What you're doing is fine and not 'wrong' but I personally would feel restricted if I made music using only that method. Melody writing can be one of the most fun parts of writing music and you'd be missing out if you didn't try some more things

Some things to try

- Not using triads: using inversions and more interesting voicings of chords
- Using accidentals and notes that aren't in key but still sound good.
- Writing melodies at different octaves. Try writing a melody in every octave- even the bass! (bear in mind that you'll need to get rid of the bassline first) This can radically change the sound without even doing any new sound design

Back