Need help making original beats

triplethreat3

I've been trying to teach myself music theory and practice playing some songs, and I've been able to come up some melodies every once in a while, but alot of times I get stuck, my strong point is sampling but I really want to be a versatile producer and be able to bang out a non sampled track like i can bang out a sampled track, so I was wondering when coming up with your melodies do you try to mess around with scales till you come up with something? or do you just mess around with chords until you come up with something? by the way im into hip hop and Rnb, please help!

you've just really gotta understand scales to know how to compose an effective melody. 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale are strongest, 4 and 6 are weak but they can add a lot to a melody when used right. 7th gives a really chill, lounge type vibe to chords, the neptunes use 7ths a lot.

Remember that pattern is almost more important than the actual notes when it comes to a catchy melody. The melody to Dirt Off Your Shoulders just goes straight down the scale. 5 4 3 2 1, 11111. it's the pattern and spacing between notes that gives it its bounce.

Buy a book on music theory, and a cheap keyboard and just play around, you'll eventually have a knack for coming up with melodies.

A guy in one of the other forums on FP just posted this link, which looks very useful as far as teaching yourself music theory, using free online interactive flash lessons...

http://www.musictheory.net/

I realise making original music is more than just learning theory - but thought you might find it useful having some further knowledge.

Another thing i've found really really helps when coming up with melodies is just make up a hook. It can be a complete bull**** hook, like "everybody move, raise ya glass and get wild" Then come up with a way to sing it melodically, and use that melody on a synth. Eventually you can use that melody to inspire a more thoughtful and successful hook.

Sometimes I think it depends on what equipment you use as well, I find I make more inspiring beats using Hardware as opposed to software. Maybe it's just me I feel its more intimate. for example I found my beats were much more personal using the Rs7000 in realation to using FL. I would carry that with me where ever I went with a set of head phones and whenever I got the urge to produce something I would pull it out and start doing my thing. I don't know how helpfull or how much it relates to sound design but I know that is something that you need to find out is what type of medium you like to use. hope this helps a lil bit

hey guys thanks for all the help, i really do appreciate it, im gonna try incorporate all your ideas and keep on practicing i know it'll eventually come to me... thanks again

Good looking with that link... Anyone have any links on how to play the acoustic guirtar or electric guitar.. And i'm looking for a blues type feel.

I've been urging to play like Wyclef. in a sense not exactly like him. But almost like Folk or Blues. the guy can freestyle on the guitar though.
Any help would be appreciated.

get some tutorial vids...they helped some friends of mine

Back