My Beats

Jay.

Moderаtor
For some reason, my beats do not sound like beats out there today. It seems like I'm missing something critically important. The melodies of beats today seem to go in a different direction, or whole other template in general. No matter how hard I try, I can't get my beats into the hip hop category that everybody knows so well because of my melodies. I usually try melodies that don't last irregular lengths (beats, half beats, etc.), and I usually stack. Most beats out there today, including almost all on here, sound like they are based on some kind of magical template to make them have the same construction as beats out there today. Can anybody help me with some construction tips and theory, such as how to arrange melodies to fit with countermelodies, and such? I've tried to learn music theory, but it doesn't seem to help me.

ok...it just seems like your new to this, with practice you'll be able to come up with melodies that are better,

you have alot of melodies going on in the beat, just try to single one or two out and work on harmonizing

Yeah, I've been on it for about 9 months. Is there some kind of key signature element or some **** that I'm missing? I've been ****ing around with all of my stuff and I have yet to get that correct amount of notes with the correct timing to make a clubbish beat. For instance, for inspiration, I always check at the dude at 110beats.com. I'm not trying to advertise here, just he bangs out those hot club bangers easily with some little special formula that I have yet to grasp. I want beats like his, with that club element to them.

one thing that can help is a good clean mix, the drums gotta be on point,, and the synths or whatever you use have to be sick too
cuz honestly I think that doo doo beat (lol) has potential, the pizzicato strings were good, but the horns sounded bad, work on your sound selection
if you want that club element, just try and capture the feel of the club, what do you wanna hear when your in a club? approach your beats like that

It seems like my melodies always turn out to be some dark bull**** that won't get people jumping. It seems like my note length is wrong, as most of 110's beats have some weird but awesome time signature to it or some ****

call me crazy but im listening to 110's beats and their all in a 4/4 time signature lol,
a way to make your beats less dark is to try and implement some "bright" chords into the mix

I'm a tool then man I don't know what the **** is up dude

My timing of my notes are just ****ed up I guess I don't know what the **** I'm missing

Jay. said:
I'm a tool then man I don't know what the **** is up dude

My timing of my notes are just ****ed up I guess I don't know what the **** I'm missing
From what I see, you're prolly just having a little tempo trouble and from the 'doo doo' beat, you just need to figure out what works and what doesn't.

If you have a keyboard-esque controller, I suggest messing with the keys a bit. You'll never know what you might come up with. And also, put on a loop to play to so you can get those creative juices flowing. I prefer percussion, but whatever you feel is confortable will do.

Hope that helps. -Nolij

Last edited:
Back