Muting parts in FL..

NinoBrown

Ok, im really embarrassed about asking this question but in FL studio I am always wanting to mute parts to make others stand out, such as muting the last 4 beats of a 8 bar so that the drum and snare hits before it repeats again. And the elements usually muted are some kind of synth or bass. But in FL I find myself just recreating a new pattern with everything the same except that I exclude what I need to. ITs really becoming a pain to do so because if I edit that particular instrument's pattern in the piano roll it affects the way it sounds on the other patters too.

so in other words is there a way I can specifically go to a bar in the playlist as Im laying the bars down and mute elements so like the drum/snare are only heating for 4 beats?

if you want to mute a instrument i think the short cut would b to hit record while the track is playing and mute and un mute it live by hitting the little green dot on the far left of the sequencer. you may want to read up on the 'edit audimation' section of fl as well.

Hey man...easy way of doing that is Autmoation....I usually automate the solo function(right click on the solo light and click on "Create automation clip") Then place the clip where you want it and make a U or backwards L shape with the line. I used to create a new pattern and delete the section I didn't want playing, but figuring out Automation has been one of the best things to improve my beats.

Used to do the same thing until I found out about Automation. I think Automation is one of the greatest tools you can use to liven up your beats. Small changes here and there throughout the sound make a world of difference.

There's a mute plug in, put it on the FX channel for whatever you want muted or on the "master" to mute everything.

I use the bottom sequencer(the one that shows midi notes), it's easier to manually cut out the part you don't want.

can u give me more details on that mute plugin,how does it work? sounds like u still would have 2 make a clone of that pattern u want 2 mute ,is it really better than automation? .... also do anyone kno how 2 set up a choke function in fl ? sorta like on a mpc or electribe where u hit the button and the whole song stops and starts at the same point where u started .... for example the is song 1,2,3 but if u hit the choke button 3 times u can make it go 1,1,1, i hope that made sense lol! .... can that be done in fl 7?

Last edited:
I wanna know how to mute the whole song like they do in "I'm So Hood"...I'm assuming I could throw that mute on the master? and somehow automate it?

F00T said:
I wanna know how to mute the whole song like they do in "I'm So Hood"...I'm assuming I could throw that mute on the master? and somehow automate it?

Press record, press play and when you want to mute everything click the green light on the mixers master channel, no need for the mute plugin.

as everybody says, there is a lot ways to do this in FL

but when I want my snare to don't hit on the last 4 before the hook, I create a different pattern like you. That's the best for me.

as soon as i get a chance im gonna put these techniques yall described to the test. man it sounds like what I been needing.

Back