Musique Concréte

tough question

you do understand that music concrete is about using real sounds to make music with? i.e. it is the epitome of sampling using existing sounds to make all musical aspects (chords, melodies, rhythmic percussive ideas, etc.) - you are using your knowledge of re-pitching and time stretching to create the entire soundscape

that said scoring is a simple graphic + stave notation deal to identify your ideas; how you realise it is the true art of music concrete

Thanks for the reply! I do understand that it is used from real sounds to make music, as I've created a composition with all the sounds that I have recorded. Only problem is that I've been asked to score the piece but I don't have the slightest idea on how to start the score it. Would it be best to do a graphical score?

graphical for non-pitched events.

use a horizontal timeline for each unique part as you would with normal notation on staves.

use ideas that show envelopes (lines flaring out from the central timeline and coming back in)

use relative height to show pitch information

use regular staves to show how you have used specific pitch ideas

use vertical lines to show rhythmic ideas

the basic difference is you are most likely using unpitched sound and so single lined staves are all that is required

I can hunt down some links fi you like (somewhere in my collection of thousands of useful links)

Back