Musical Background and Strengths/Weaknesses...???

Chew_Bear

Read an article somewhere about music production skill sets and how it applies to a producer's particular workflow.

It basically kind of stated that there are "4 CORE MAIN AREAS" to Music Production....And that a producer will naturally 'GRAVITATE' towards 1-2 when starting a music production path/journey....And as a result will than start to see which skill sets they are best at (Strengths) and which ones they are lacking (Weaknesses)....

And they are...:

1. Sampling

2. Drums and Groove/Rhythm

3. Composition (Melody, Harmony, Music Theory) e.g. Experience with a piano, guitar etc.

4. Sound Design & Synths

So my questions are....

A. Is this true or can be a generalised statement that is accurate for the majority of modern producers out there in today's modern music world...???

B. Is this why some producer's 'collab' together...??? An attempt or partnership in aiding 1 particular producer's weakness in 1 area....while capitalizing on the strengths of the other...???

I.E. Say....A Drum/Sampling type producer collabing with a Composition/Music Theory Producer to create a "SUPER DUO" that can make beastly tunes/music.

C. Is this the main reason for how a producer can start to develop their 'signature' sound...???

I.E. Once you find out which area your strengths are best at, you can than capitalize on it and start to create your own sound that is unique to you and can therefore separate yourself from the rest.

D. Is this also a reason as to why being a 'gearslut' is not that important....???

Because theoretically....you have to figure out which areas your strengths lie first....and than from there you can start to acquire the 'right' gear....correct...???

Last edited:
In my honest opinion, starting off with just a mouse/keyboard and any one daw for a couple years before getting any gear that is not headphones or speakers[Or touching any other daws unless not liking how current one is] is the best solution by far.

Then touching gear after all of that is done but that's my 2 cents on the matter.

I think using just the mouse/kb and a daw or few daws with some vsts and stuff for at least a year or two before delving into any midi shit cuz that's also enough time to research midi and latency.

i only bought speakers 4 years after beginning producing. i also dont know how to play the piano but have learnt scales and chords which is good to input into your piano roll

1. Sampling

2. Drums and Groove/Rhythm

3. Composition (Melody, Harmony, Music Theory) e.g. Experience with a piano, guitar etc.

4. Sound Design & Synths

So my questions are....
Dude. I'm always back to the rescue with you. Glad you have so much passion. But your questions are vast.
I would like to add one more (or two more) MAIN AREA to this which is MIXING / MASTERING

A. Is this true or can be a generalised statement that is accurate for the majority of modern producers out there in today's modern music world...??
In my opinion and experience it is true. Most producers like most people have special areas that they are talented in. Even with just making music, everyone has skills in an array of specific areas.

Just to let you know how much work goes in to PRODUCE the final product of a digital song (correct me if I'm wrong)
Composition / Arrangement (One person or more people) ---> Recording (many people, from a recording engineer to rappers / singers / session musicians for numerous instruments at times. Kendrick Lamar's recent album had 71+ people in the process of making the album)
---> Mixing (mix engineers. in a big label there's at least 2 or 3 of them constantly in the process) ---> Mastering (Mastering Engineers)

B. Is this why some producer's 'collab' together...??? An attempt or partnership in aiding 1 particular producer's weakness in 1 area....while capitalizing on the strengths of the other...???
Mos def. that is why they collab together. To reinforce each others' strengths and cover each others' weaknesses.

I teamed up with DJs on a couple occasions, just because they have more insight into the sampling realm than me.

I.E. Say....A Drum/Sampling type producer collabing with a Composition/Music Theory Producer to create a "SUPER DUO" that can make beastly tunes/music
Like I said above, yes. A prime example of this is Jack U (Skrillex / Diplo). Skrillex is definitely the better sound designer / drum engineer. Diplo is ahead with his DJ abilities. So they make a great duo.

C. Is this the main reason for how a producer can start to develop their 'signature' sound...???
It is only one of the ways. Collaboration is more a group effort thus a group 'signature' sound than an individual one.
But collabing is a good way to learn from each other and absorb / build your own style as well.

I.E. Once you find out which area your strengths are best at, you can than capitalize on it and start to create your own sound that is unique to you and can therefore separate yourself from the rest..
Sure.

D. Is this also a reason as to why being a 'gearslut' is not that important....???
Being a gearslut aint important not cuz of the reasons above but cuz a gearslut is a mindless human being with just money and greed but no effort.
That being said I've met people who hog all the gear they want and create something fantastic nonetheless. Those people aren't labeled as gearslutz although they do what a gearslut does.
Gearslut is a state of mind. hahahahha

What dragoninstal said.

Although I must note that the 4 core areas only go for electronic producers. If you move into songwriting/band realms, 3 (composition/arrangement) becomes much more important. :)

Back