Music Theory Question!?

T. Fox Productions

Can I Downlaod a Miko?
when you make a counter melody (this is what ive heard it being called) to a song does it have to start with the same key as you started your main melody with i.e. if your main melody is in d minor must the second melody start on d as well

they don't have to start on the same, but i think they end on the tonic, either in unison, or the upper melody being an octave above... or at least that's what i think i read last week haha, i could be wrong

Rules & Regs

There are rules and regs when composing, and all but like the previous post said when it really boils down to it there is not rule as long as it sounds good. I am in school getting my masters in jazz and I am a T.A. so the s**t is free. Let someone hear when you are down.

bleek

There are no rules to hip hop. I agree, as long as it sounds good then you're pretty much set. But its better that you actually take the time to learn music theory and classical piano so you don't have to keep creating the same 1 finger melodies.

If it sounds good than it is good is a famous quote, and I think its true. But one person might use theory to find what can sound good very quickly, while others struggle for hours to get things to sound "good". You are asking about a countermelody which is usually creating harmonies with the melody, so yes it is usually in the same key. Hiphop isnt above any rules, it is actually much less free than other less popular forms of music. While no one will come to your house if you "break a rule" , no one will think your beat is good if you have melodies in all different keys all clashing. Call it whatever you like, peoples expectations dictate many things about popular music like hiphop.

a counter melody is just another melody in the same bar (sometimes not but lets keep it simple shall we). and can be in any mode dorian,ionian,aeolian ect doesnt matter. there are rules and things but you dont have to be rigid. somtimes flattening a note randomly somtimes clicks with me

but i would personally always use the tonic or root note of the scale as either the starting note or the end note to show that this is in key...but this counter melody you create might not follow the rules.

Last edited:
T. Fox Productions said:
when you make a counter melody (this is what ive heard it being called) to a song does it have to start with the same key as you started your main melody with i.e. if your main melody is in d minor must the second melody start on d as well

1. Your counter melody does NOT hve to START on the same NOTE (you should not say "the same KEY" because "key" has a different meaning from "which piano KEY you hit first" and you are confusing people)

2. Your counter melody does NOT have to END with the same note as the one ending the first melody.

3. Both your melody and counter melody should most likely be in the same "key"

4. In your example where you talk about a melody in "d min"... A melody in "d min" absolutely does NOT have to start with the note "D" (that is important for you to know)

Back