Music Theory Made Easy

Giggleboo

Hi. New to the forums and just wanted to contribute with some music theory knowledge that beginners might find useful. Knowing more about music theory is always useful, it gives you more tools in your toolbox for creating the sound or atmosphere that you want. For example, your DAW such as FL Studio can show you all of the chords and scales, but it can't show you how to use that to create the emotion you want, that's where music theory is useful.

Music theory was very confusing to me at first, but this way made it easiest for me to understand. I like to think of music as numbers and not notes. For example, if I'm going to write a song in C Major, I don't think about that. I think about it as me having 7 notes to use, with number 1 being C, since I am in C Major.

Here are the notes in the C Major Scale: C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You can learn about why these notes make up the C Major scale, but it's not that important because you can always Google the notes that are in a scale or look it up in your DAW. The most important thing is what number the note is in your scale, and then understanding the emotion that number has. This makes learning this easier, because you don't have to memorize all the notes, you just have to remember 7 numbers, and after that everything repeats. Notice how it goes 1-7, and then 8 is C again, it just repeats.

For example, C is the first note of the C Major scale, so it's called the tonic note. It is sort of like home base, all of the other notes have a feeling of wanting to come back to note number 1, it has a sound of resolving or answering the other notes. Notes 1, 4, and 5 are all Major, so these notes will tend to have a happier feeling. While notes 2, 3, 6, and 7 will have a sadder feeling. Again, there is a lot of theory into why that is, but you don't need to know that to apply this to your music. Just remember that when you use an A note, which is the 6th note of the major scale, it will give your song a really sad sound.

Each of these numbers will give you a different feeling, for example the 6th note is the most sad or minor sounding of these notes. The 7th will be sad too, but not quite as sad, and will give more of a feeling of wanting to resolve back to note 1 than note 6 will. Again, there is a lot of theory into why that is, but you can listen for the different sounds that each of these numbers, or scale degrees of this scale will give you.

Hopefully that helps, happy to answer any questions too!

Back