Music Production: The Basics Revisited

legendarybeatz

I'm writing this post because I saw a post by a young upcoming producer who doesn't know where to start and pretty much just needs some guidance and maybe this can help some experience producers as well. So Let's Get started!

What is Music Production?
If you can answer this question, then mentally you are in the right place, but if you can't let's go over a few things.

This question applies almost directly to music producers. Here is a brief, but detailed description of music producers:
"A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist'smusic. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, and negotiations."

Of course many of us (upcoming producers) have not reached to this stage as yet, but we do have a responsibility to perform some of these duties.

How Do You Start?
So obviously you may have some background in music, even if all you know is the C-Scale. How you would start making beats is basically find interest in it. Based on your interest, what type of style are you interested in? Hip Hop, old school, R&B, dirty south, etc. Whatever your choice may be, it is best to learn the structure of that type of music. If you can learn the structure, then it will make the process of making beats more easier.

Learning the history of the genre of your choice will definitely help you build a great foundation when it comes to production. There is no real shortcut to music production, it will take you some time to master your craft and you must practice and continually open yourself up to new knowledge and experiences.

Where Do You Go From Here?
Well, this all depends on what your plans are. Are you planning to live off of music, Do this just for money, or you just want to do this as a hobby? These are important questions, because the answer will affect your drive and motivation to produce quality work.

If you are planning to live off of music, then I advise you, I appeal to you, to PLAN PLAN PLAN! Before you even create a website or even think of selling your work, make sure that you have created a product that is of decent quality and that you have enough inventory to set up a store that will at least look good when you do decide to sell. Reason why I say this, is because many producers say they want to sell beats and they just started learning how to produce, then they create a website then start promoting the website and start filling it with the same low quality unskilled type of beats and then get discouraged when they are not getting any sales. If you take the time to learn the craft, develop.. learn the scales, learn how to create melodies and learn the structures of songs. After you have somewhat mastered these concepts, then you can produce beats and try selling. That is a topic for another day.

If you just want to do this for the money, then your in the wrong business. Being a producer takes more than you putting sounds together in your DAW (Digital audio workstation) of your choice. Being a producer takes experience, talent, failure, success, motivated mindset and so much more. If you just want to do this for the money, you will get exhausted before you even see your first beat sale. A producer is an entrepreneur, a business man on top of also trying to produce a sound that has enough quality and attractiveness to impress or satisfy the artist's needs.

What Can I Do To Stay Focus?
I remember a year ago when I wanted to quit being a producer, I couldn't take it anymore. I wasn't making any sales, I worried so much about marketing and SEO and thought that I deserved so much more. What my main problem was, I failed to realize that I have to make changes in order to see a different result. I found a mentor who helped me along the way and continued to encourage me. I learned how to market, how to relate to artists. I Turned my attention to quality instead of only thinking about making money. FutureProducers.com is a great way for you to stay focus, especially since you are in a community among some great producers who take time out of their day to reply to your posts and give you feedback when you need it. Change your Mindset and Change the Game. Of course the game will be the same, but when you change your mindset, you see it in a different way.

This post was just some encouraging words to help the upcoming producer
who just needs that little push to find success.

Hope this helps,
LegendaryBeatz

Last edited:
Back