Music Notation: what the hell is E+?

O

originalscent

i'm reading a book and in the chord progression it says E+...

i don't think its E major... so does it stand for?

thanks

Bezo said:
Just the 5th.
Yup!

E-G#-C

Couldn't this also be considered "C(major)", I mean all you're doing is playing the C an octave higher.
I'm not trying to confuse anyone just trying to figure it all out myself lol

DJ Meta 4 said:
Couldn't this also be considered "C(major)", I mean all you're doing is playing the C an octave higher.

cmajor is c-e-g, E+ is e-g#-c, the g is sharp

one more question about chord progressions...

ok i have this following progression:

Bb7 Ab/Bb Eb6

whats the slash for?

clearly Ab and Bb isn't the same chord.. so do i play the Ab and then switch to the Bb.. or do i get choose between them:D Oh.. Ab/Bb is directly a above quarter note if that makes any difference in playing it

just to making sure

later

it means an Ab on Bb

so you play an Ab chord any combo of notes with A Bb in the bass

its called a slash chord
and is a quick and easy way to write complicated chords
for instance
Ab7 chord
Ab C Eb G Bb
but this has a different sound to Ab/Bb

DJ Meta 4 said:
tmac4183 said:
cmajor is c-e-g, E+ is e-g#-c, the g is sharp
However, E+ = C+.

I don't use augmented chords much, and never noticed that relationship. Learn something new everyday.

Yeah it seems the I augmented is = III augmented...heh never noticed it myself either. I like playing aug. mainly when choosing an organ sound for cathedral or a piano for piano type music. Inversions get used alot in my playing though :D.

originalscent said:
one more question about chord progressions...

ok i have this following progression:

Bb7 Ab/Bb Eb6

whats the slash for?

clearly Ab and Bb isn't the same chord.. so do i play the Ab and then switch to the Bb.. or do i get choose between them:D Oh.. Ab/Bb is directly a above quarter note if that makes any difference in playing it

just to making sure

later

As the other guy stated, it could be a slash chord........or sometimes people will use a slash to show that one side of the slash is left hand, and the other is right hand when speakin of playing keyboard.

Bezo said:
However, E+ = C+.

I don't use augmented chords much, and never noticed that relationship. Learn something new everyday.

hi...
as u noticed about the augmented chord relationship...here is a little more info.

all the notes of a particular augmented chord form augmented chords with the same notes..
eg:a C augmented chord uses the same notes as a E augmented and G# augmented..
thats because an augmented chord is a stack of major 3rds..( c to e is two full tones)
try it out on a keyboard!!

also

a diminished chord is a stack of minor thirds( c to d# is one full tone and one half tone )
which means that.. a c dim chord uses the notes c ,d# and f# and also 'a' if u want a 7th chord..
so c dim = d# dim = f # dim= a dim
an 'a' dim chord uses a,c,d#,f#
all the notes of a dim chord form dim chords with the same notes..

hope this helps...

Last edited:
chiragkotak said:
hi...
as u noticed about the augmented chord relationship...here is a little more info.

all the notes of a particular augmented chord form augmented chords with the same notes..
eg:a C augmented chord uses the same notes as a E augmented and G# augmented..
thats because an augmented chord is a stack of major 3rds..( c to e is two full tones)
try it out on a keyboard!!

also

a diminished chord is a stack of minor thirds( c to d# is one full tone and one half tone )
which means that.. a c dim chord uses the notes c ,d# and f# and also 'a' if u want a 7th chord..
so c dim = d# dim = f # dim= a dim
an 'a' dim chord uses a,c,d#,f#
all the notes of a dim chord form dim chords with the same notes..

hope this helps...
Thanks! Never realized that. I'll have to find a way to implement aug & dim chords into my songs. They'll make for good pivot chords when modulating.

Back