Music Composers

No problem, understood... And, welcome by the way!

One thing, it's very hard to read your text as it's being posted in a dark grey/brown font color; if you could change that it would be very helpful. I'm using the default FP skin (black background), so maybe it's easier for others to read, I don't know.

GJ

I agree with you both. I actually grew up seeing producers in hip hop, not touch any keyboards or drum machines. And will just work with 2 or 3 guys that write songs. One guy will actually create the music with electronic instruments. The other 2 guys would write down on paper, what the chorus is gonna say and the other guy, take care of the verses. And the producer just tells them what sounds good at certain times, and sometimes replace a electronic instrument with a real instrument, like a guitar.

One thing, it's very hard to read your text as it's being posted in a dark grey/brown font color; if you could change that it would be very helpful. I'm using the default FP skin (black background), so maybe it's easier for others to read, I don't know.

GJ

fixed that for you - in the grey/white theme it was fine

you can also edit this yourself simply by removing the color tags that are placed around the text

I wouldn't call myself a composer but a arranger instead cause composers are more guys who write the melodies down on paper i think.

an arranger still composes music - individual lines for individual instruments/sounds

and

nowhere does it say that you have to be able to write down your ideas in manuscript - it was the normal thing to do for composers who worked for the church or the various noble houses of Europe prior to the 19th century but in the modern day, a composer can just as easily play it into a piece of software or in real-time as write it all out long hand

the distinction now is not your medium (as in daw or paper) but your medium as in formal structures (songs vs sonatas, etc)

Thanks for the input bandcoach. You help me understand the roles in the industry a little better. I do compose, self produce, and engineer my own work. So it makes sense to call yourself , the composer of a work/song.

Ive always thought that you had to know how to write music, in order to call yourself a composer. But not knowing, they're many different jobs for a composer. And some gigs or jobs might require for you to be able to write it out. Ive always made the music but have gotten considered a songwriter because of the lack of knowledge on actually writting. I understand what a songwriter is. Especially now.

GJ[/QUOTE

Thank you:) I'm not sure what I'm doing with the font color? I use the grey/white skin. But I changed it back to the FP skin. Hope that helps.

Again! The terms used within the music industry can be very blurred sometimes, and it does make sense to know what yours is. For years I have worked around people who call themselves this and that, and do nothing of the title. Music producer being the most misunderstood. When in all actuality, the guys who sit behind instruments and software and do nothing but compose are actually the songwriters also to a song they create with another songwriter that contributes lyrics. But they have no idea how they invision the song to go. But it's all in learning.

I would say that composer is the one who writes all the notes in the song. Songwritter also writes lyrics. But both of them doesn't do the engineering, that is sound engineer's or producent's work.

Back