are movie trailer soundtracks a form of sound design?

prodeucer

I saw a preview of the upcoming movie called Happy Death Day and a 50 Cent song was in the trailer. The song sounded highly edited to sync with the movie trailer. Is this considered "sound design" and how is this done to an already existing song? How is the song edited to sync with the movie trailer and have different variations of it? Like slowing the tempo down, removing an instrument then adding it back on, etc. Is it the EQ that removes and adds the bass to the existing song? Maybe the instrument were never taken out to begin with, just the frequency changes make it sound as if certain parts of the song's instrumentation were taken out. I saw the movie preview in the movie theaters.

Last edited:
I think the 50cent bits sound like fairly basic EQ/filtering jobs, I didn't hear anything particularly drastic there - but yeah, I guess a trailer's hyper-condensed sound world is a type of sound design of its own. Not that the tools are any different than those you'd use for regular mixing.

was the hyper condense an EQ work?

I only meant "hyper-condensed" as a descriptor for the modern trailer soundworld in general - condensing a string of highpoints and extreme tension into a minute or two. But the music bits sounded mostly like they're just EQd or filtered.

I would say it's sound design. Especially later on in the trailer when the 50 cent track is more manipulated, pitch shifted and warped. The broader question about sound design versus music is a really interesting argument to me though. In some places in the field there is a big distinction made here yet they both deal with working wth frequency and time in very similar ways. One might consider this treatment of 50 cent a theme and variations.

Back