Most efficient way to create patterns?

JoeDB

It might not even make a difference but I figured I'd ask anyway. To make it simple, say we want to create just a 16 bar song. The first 12 bars are all the same then the last 4 are switched up a bit. Is it "better" to create one 16 bar pattern and adjust the last 4 bars in the sequencer? Or to create two 4 bar patterns, loop the first one 3 times then add the second pattern separately? For this example it probably wouldn't matter, but when you have multiple patterns would one way be more efficient on the cpu, engineer, etc. than the other? FL Studio if it matters.

I would probably make two 4 bar patterns and loop the first one. It comes down to your preference but that way might make arranging your track a little easier. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make as far as CPU use is concerned though.

I'd seriously consider making a 4 bar pattern and 4 x 1 bar patterns, especially if the each of the last 4 are going to be switched up differently. this way you can use these last 4 patterns in any sequence you want after the first 16.

When it comes to cpu or anything else, a pattern presents no overhead but the sounds they drive do......

for an engineer - they aren't going to be looking at your structures and be saying "dude, you shoulda done it this way..." (above their pay grade to provide that kind of critiquing)

Back