Mono is the way to go !

This is sounds to me like what I've always done, but I'm not sure. For example, I'll record a rhythm guitar two times and pan them both out 100%, one left and one right. The end result sounds nice and wide. Even in midi drums and such, it's setup as a parent channel that sends out multiple mono tracks, one for the snare, one for the kick, one for toms etc. etc. that you can then pan where ever you want them. I find everything is easier when you pan your inputs and adjust your faders to get the best possible sound before doing anything else.

I have been saying this for years - not the eargasm part but the need to mix tracks that are in mono unless they have been recorded in true stereo (dual mics that give stereo spread)

Ah, well, it takes time but the message eventually sinks in

It's not what you say, it's how you say it ;)

I produce on FL so, how do I put the individual tracks into mono?

Kycks

Sounds a bit complicated but, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Kycks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey after you guys put your channels in mono, do you ever do any panning automation after that or will that kinda defeat the purpose of the mono function?

conceptually we are not doing anything other than rendering the track as a single mono source

once that is done we can move it to any position in the stereo sound-field so panning automation is fair game

Back