Mono or Stereo?

generator

I'm just in a dilema right now when sampling. They definitly sound different. I mean sterea sounds fuller but I just don't know how it will come out finally. For hip hop tracks would you sample mono or stereo and why?

generator said:
I'm just in a dilema right now when sampling. They definitly sound different. I mean sterea sounds fuller but I just don't know how it will come out finally. For hip hop tracks would you sample mono or stereo and why?

Depending on the sample source. In general, is better to have the samples as it is on the original record/font.

Originally posted by harlley Depending on the sample source. In general, is better to have the samples as it is on the original record/font.
Yeah. Generally, if the source is mono, like a lot of older records, then record the sample on a mono track. If it's stero, than stereo.

And sometimes you can pinpoint a particular sound by sampling a stereo source onto a stereo track, then spliting it into 2 mono tracks. For instance, if some horns that you want are panned to the left, if you only use the left channel, there's less to filter out.

And when stereo was still new, engineers would mix all drums hard to one side, vocals and/or lead instruments in the middle, and rhythm isntruments hard to the other side... or some variation of this. Easier to filter out the drums with the above method.

Back