Modern Talking Synth/Sound....???

Chew_Bear

Did a google search but did not come up with anything significant...therefore I am still confused....

1. Whats a modern talking synth/sound...???

I have heard/listened to the modern talking band from the 80's.

2. Is this synth/sound...have anything to do with them...???

3. Is there a vst/plugin for a modern talking sound/synth...???

4. Whats with the popularity of this sound and why do some producers still use it...??? Is it mainly for retro/vintage style points...???

5. Which genres right now in modern music use this sound...??? EDM, Synth Pop, Pop, R&B...???

6. Is it overrated/used extensively...???

morphing wavetables and a formant filter.
morphin waves in general and a formant filter but wavetables allow exact waveforms.
I think a whale would be a fat pulse wave with one of those and some reverb with a lowpass filter haven't tried it yet.

I think you can forget about the band in this context - it's a wavetable named "modern talking" in Massive, and the name's probably more of just a joke (because it sounds "modern" and "talky") than anything to do with Modern Talking's sound.

1. Whats a modern talking synth/sound...???
A sound made from, instead of the normal square waves/saw waves, the 'modern talking' wavetable in massive.

2. Is this synth/sound...have anything to do with them...???
No
3. Is there a vst/plugin for a modern talking sound/synth...???
Usually Massive. Could be done in any wavetable synth where you can create you own waves I guess, but the whole point of creating custom wavetables is so you aren't limited by preset waves like Massive is.
Did a google search but did not come up with anything significant...therefore I am still confused....
4. Whats with the popularity of this sound and why do some producers still use it...??? Is it mainly for retro/vintage style points...???
They think it sounds good... kinda obvious really
5. Which genres right now in modern music use this sound...??? EDM, Synth Pop, Pop, R&B...???
Mostly the bass-heavier genres. It's waning in popularity a bit now, possibly due to overuse. Plus people have found other methods of making 'talking' sounds.
6. Is it overrated/used extensively...???
Some people think so. Don't let that stop you using it if you like it.

Last edited:
Back