microediting, stuttering drums, tips?

angus

greetings FP crew. Just wondering if any of you out there were into mircoediting drums for those rRRrrippP.P.P.P.pppin breaks used by guys like "a break in the clouds" by James Holden, or tracks by Aphex Twin. Like the amount of time and effort put into the drum programming must have been intense to say the least. Anyways, thanks for checkin this out this post and any suggestions about drum programming you may have.

Angus

I use to get into heavy drum editing for electronic dance music but I don't really do it much in hip hop tracks. Acid Pro is really good for this. BTW I love the signature. I need to tell my girl to stop making videos with her webcam...lol

MarcAshken said:
look up a plug in called dblueglitch, that'll do it all for you.

yea, theres a ton of plugins for this now. thers a ton of *free* plugins for this actually....

i havent tried dblueglitch, but it looks nice....

peace.

REALLY? there's actually plugs that'll do this type of effect for me? Awesome. That's the best thing that I've heard in a while. Thanks for the response, and I'm gonna look into this further....So is it like a drum machine, that I can change the resolution real time, or something along those lines? Right on guys, and thanks again...

Angus

angus said:
greetings FP crew. Just wondering if any of you out there were into mircoediting drums for those rRRrrippP.P.P.P.pppin breaks used by guys like "a break in the clouds" by James Holden, or tracks by Aphex Twin. Like the amount of time and effort put into the drum programming must have been intense to say the least. Anyways, thanks for checkin this out this post and any suggestions about drum programming you may have.

Angus

Yes, it does take a lot of time and effort... as well as technique.

There are plugins that will make sound "glitchy" for you... but the pros who are making records and are known to the public are doing it by getting into the sequence and cutting it up and moving things around how they want it to sound. There is no "automatic microedit machine" that makes good music. the people who do it for "real" know exactly what they want the track to sound like and know exactly what they are doing.

They actually "make" the music... they don't just let some plugin make a random bunch of clicks and stutters and then call it a song.

I have put out records of total microedited glitchy stuttery music, and I do it by cutting up every piece of audio into tiny pieces and putting them exactly where I want them. I would personally be embarassed to put my name on any music that was done any other way.

dvyce, right on man, I hear ya loud and clear on the 'keepin it real' tip. My problem is this. I cannot get into sitting down for 4 hours to microedit a four bar loop. I mean I've got friends that are really into drum programming, but I definetly prefer synth programmming and making ZZZZZZoooooooooooorrrrrrnnnnnn's and nerps and s*** like that. Im really good at making rolling style house beats similar to deep dish styles (at least my mom says they're neat....)but when it comes right down to tekkin out on 16 bars for a weekend, angus' brain starts to pull itself apart.
Do you have any tips for how you personally micro edit your drums? Do you have any tracks posted online that I could checkout and inquire as to how you made the cuts at thusnsuch a part in the tune? Cause telling me 'plugs are for pansies' doesn't really help my situation much, but any tips as too how you cut and edit, or how you prep your/self/tune for a microedit session would be greatly appreciated. I mean I downloaded the demo dbblueGlitch plug but haven't checked it out yet, but it does look like it would significantly cut down on my worktime. But any tips/tricks you know of would be awesome. Thanks for your time producer crew,
Angus

it depends on what youre doing....

i agree with dvyce to a point... you cant make a whole glitch composition with a plug in....
you just dont have the control necessary to make what you want...

but, for subtle simpler stuff, it can help a lot. like if you just want a nasty stutter on your snare at some point, a plug can do that for ya, easily.

really, at this point in the history of the genre, i think the important thing is whethere you are really dictating to the plugin, or it is dictating to you..... *where* the sounds come from isnt really important to me, as long as thats how theyre 'supposed' to sound, per the artist.

peace.

angus said:
dvyce, right on man, I hear ya loud and clear on the 'keepin it real' tip. My problem is this. I cannot get into sitting down for 4 hours to microedit a four bar loop. I mean I've got friends that are really into drum programming, but I definetly prefer synth programmming and making ZZZZZZoooooooooooorrrrrrnnnnnn's and nerps and s*** like that. Im really good at making rolling style house beats similar to deep dish styles (at least my mom says they're neat....)but when it comes right down to tekkin out on 16 bars for a weekend, angus' brain starts to pull itself apart.
Do you have any tips for how you personally micro edit your drums? Do you have any tracks posted online that I could checkout and inquire as to how you made the cuts at thusnsuch a part in the tune? Cause telling me 'plugs are for pansies' doesn't really help my situation much, but any tips as too how you cut and edit, or how you prep your/self/tune for a microedit session would be greatly appreciated. I mean I downloaded the demo dbblueGlitch plug but haven't checked it out yet, but it does look like it would significantly cut down on my worktime. But any tips/tricks you know of would be awesome. Thanks for your time producer crew,
Angus

Hey Angus... I sent you a PM with some links... feel free to ask any specific questions about the tracks.

...but to answer some of your general questions (re: tips how to cut, edit, prep)...

I collected many DAT's full of noise and static. I would record my gear that had loose noisy connections. I saved messed up pieces of audio. Recorded all sorts of broken things that made horrible noises.

Then I go through hours of sounds and listen to every little noise and decide which ones I like. I let those sounds inspire me. I organize all those sounds in my head and I think of beats and rhythms that I could make from all these tiny sounds. Then I make the track.

I don't know if that helps at all, but please feel free to ask any specific questions about a particular track.

highkoo said:
it depends on what youre doing....

i agree with dvyce to a point... you cant make a whole glitch composition with a plug in....
you just dont have the control necessary to make what you want...

but, for subtle simpler stuff, it can help a lot. like if you just want a nasty stutter on your snare at some point, a plug can do that for ya, easily.

really, at this point in the history of the genre, i think the important thing is whethere you are really dictating to the plugin, or it is dictating to you..... *where* the sounds come from isnt really important to me, as long as thats how theyre 'supposed' to sound, per the artist.

peace.

I have no problem with someone using a "glitch plugin" in a song.

If you simply make a track by running a sound through some plugin and call it a day, then you (I don't mean you personally) are not really "writing a track"...your plugin is "writing a track"

But if you use it as a texture, then it is essentially just using an effect unit for a texture... even though, if a person is a skilled music maker and understands the genre, he can most likely make the sound he is looking for manually and do a better job of getting it exactly like he wants it... and do it rather quickly.

Also, if you have some plugin that you can truly control (and I mean really control exactly what it will do so it can help you to acheive a specific artistic vision) then that is another story.

exactly. its all about the precise control now.... or, speed of control, i guess...

still, its fun either way...

that stutter thing thats built into stylus now-- i heard that thing come in on a simple drum loop one time... that alone almost made me snag stylus... haha.

dvyce, i had no idea you were so into glitch stuff. werd.

peace.

oh, i have one idea for ya angus...

try cutting the attack off of some of your normal samples. a lot of the 'glitch' sounds you hear have the end chopped, which gives 'that' sound. but chopping the very very beginning of the attack sounds cool sometimes too... short, choppy, moving...

but what dvyce said is good advice. you need to have a sonic collection. raw sound. and its those harsh nasty sounds that often end up being good in the track, once chopped and processed...

peace.

Back