Mic Pre-Amp and/or Plug-in suggestions

bdondaunique1

I've been thinkin about buying a Mic Pre-Amp or a plug in. I never have messed with vocals before so this would be the first 1 I bought. I have 3 questions. One is which format is better(i kno that is a vauge word) between hardware and a plugin. Two What is the best available choice under $200(if possible) And three what is the easiest pre amp to learn. I realize these are very vauge questions an this mite not even be the proper thread in which to put them in but im in the process of buying a recording set up for vocals already got a mic and bout to get and interface but have a limited budget and am in need of suggestions.

Well, the choice between hardware and software is pretty easy here - you can't have a preamp in software form, period. It's technically impossible. You can use "mic modelers" and "virtual channel strips" in software form, which emulate other characteristics of a preamp combo, but the pre-amplification is - if you think about it for a while - impossible to achieve without doing it before it goes digital.

That said, preamps aren't "hard to learn" technically; you'll have to learn what preamp is good for which application, but the actual controls are usually very straightforward (basically there's just gain and then some optional controls, like phase switching, padding, phantom).

Are you really sure you know what both of the things you talk about do?

Mic Pre-amps increase the (weak) signal level of microphones to levels appropriate to record at, whether to a tape machine or a soundcard and PC. For really basic purposes you could just plug a (dynamic) microphone such as a Shure SM58 into a soundcard, but it would sound crap. For capacitor microphones, the pre-amp provides a separate circuit of power to charge the condenser element - so-called 'Phantom power'. You mentioned that you were about to get an interface - did you check whether the interface has built in pre-amps? The vast majority have two. If you're a beginner there's little point spending any more on an extra pre-amp because unless you spend in the region of £400 ($600) you won't see much improvement on the built-in ones, even less if you use a sub-$1000 mic.

As krushing mentioned, you can't have software pre-amps, but the question of 'software or hardware' plugins is a valid one. For the most part, at the kind of prices you are talking about (less than $200) you can get better sounding freeware plugins than hardware units like Behringers (is that a popular brand in the States? I'm in the UK).

Can I make a suggestion? Put the $200 you would have spent on a pre-amp or plugin on getting a better audio interface or microphone. Almost any interface you buy will come with sequencing software which includes built-in plugins like basic compressors or reverbs, and until you have a good enough ear (and reference monitor speakers) you won't really notice the difference.

Hope this is helpful, but in the future it might be helpful to look up really carefully what you are talking about and then we can help you make a better decision.

Percy

I think you are thinking in the right direction. However, your budget needs to be increased. Most low in pre's are noisy defeating the purpose.
I suggest a mixer. One with atleast two mic pre's, minimum 3 band eq per track.
Pre's alone would leave a louder tone vocal but the eq'ing allows you to add character and punch to your low's, mid's, and high's on your vocals.

Producer C4
www.soundclick.com/producer4life

^^ I'm looking for something like this too. Any specific models you know of that I could check out?

You can't go wrong with a Mackie mixer. There are some lesser names mixers out there giving alot of bang for the buck but im not familiar with there performance.
I will say stay away of these mixer recorders bull crap.

www.soundclick.com/producer4life

Back