melodies 1st before chords help

What's up FP FAM I having a problem with starting with my melody first I know theory well far as chords scales and key sigs for that matter when I start with chords its easy coming up with a melody using chord tones and non chord tones this method is cool but I find it to be boring and simple sometimes although its a great road map but when I try to start melody 1st its like I have no road map like I really feel lost like with out knowing what my chord and non chord notes are

your melody (usually) will be composed of notes from part of a scale. For example, say your melody contains the notes: A, E, C, D, G (does not matter the order)....this melody would be in Am, and would be a great starting point for laying chords or pads down under the melody. From there, I would just go through progressions with the Am chord and find what sounds right or good to you.

There are many websites about music theory that can give you more (and better) examples, but if you need me to clarify let me know

I just joined FP today and wanted to jump in here and say Bandcoach....Your a bad-ass and I appreciate your existence. Thank-you for the link above. Really helpful information right there.

Back