Massive wave-table tutorial HELP

RuSty1

Hey I've been using massive for a little while now and I've learnt all the fancy things of it such as modulation and what not but I know that massive is really popular for its wave-tables. I understand what they are and how they work(how you can switch between sine and square waves) but I want to learn about the different types of wave tables in massive, what wave table to use for a certain sound and just when to use a certain wave table. When I start a new sound maybe I want to make a new pad and I want it to be a moody very spacey pad I know what effects to use, how I should voice it e.t.c but I dont know which wave table to use and I end up just flicking through them not liking how any of them sound together. Please any help or links to tutorials that can help me out will be great. Sound design is my weakness right now and I really want to improve my music!

I'd just put this down to experimenting and experience - try things out and practice. Surely someone can tell you to use wavetable x for sound y, but that's a bit like asking for which colors to use for a painting.

There are two properties waves have: their harmonics, and their loudness.

Harmonics can easily be seen by using a spectral analyser. You probably have one in your DAW. Bring it up after massive and play some notes. The horizontal axis is frequency i.e. pitch, and the vertical axis is volume.
So some waves have lots of harmonics, some have no harmonics, some have lots of high harmonics but no low harmonics and some are the other way around.
-If you play lots of waves with a spectral analyser open you can start to understand what I mean.

The other property is loudness. This is literally just how loud two waves of the same volume sound.

95% of all sounds are sawtooth, square, sine, or triangle.
Probably 50% of all sounds are sawtooth and another 30% are square

Sawtooth waves have all the harmonics, and have moderate loudness
Square waves have half the harmonics and have high loudness. (i.e. if you play a sawtooth wave at -6dB and a square wave at -6dB, the square will sound louder)
Sine waves have only one harmonic, and have moderate loudness.
Triangle waves have a quarter of the harmonics, and low loudness

Last edited:
Back