Massive LFO Automation in Ableton Live trouble...However, works with FL Studio

JerseyVin

Hello,
I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I'm a bit frustrated.

I switched to Ableton Live from FL Studio about a month ago, and I seem to be having trouble getting Massive to automate as it did in FL Studio... well kind of. I know what I'm doing with the automation, however, Massive seems to be creating clicks and pops in the instant where the LFO Rate changes. Does anyone have any idea why this would be?

The clicking and popping will happen when switching LFO speeds from say 1/8 to 1/16 or any other synced number, but doesn't occur all the time, only some of the time, on different changes each time. weird right?..haha Because it occurs in a different spots each time I play it within Ableton, I do not think I'm making an error in my automation.

Has anyone else experienced something like this or have any advice?

Thanks for your help!

I have experienced something similar in automation / modulation. Not specifically with Massive though.

It happens when ..its hard to explain...

it happens when you have a sharp discontinuity in the automation / modulation. Sometimes when you edit an automation line you get a point at the end where the very last sample is set to both 0 and 1, and the very first moment in the sample is set to 0 and 1 too. You get a click. It's becausee, in Live you can select an area on the graph and drag it. Live creates some anchor points at either side of the area you selected. If the area is the area you are playing, you can the situation I mentioned. A vertical line at the start and one at the end.

But I've only really had this happen when its the volume that's being automated. I get you get a tiny burst of samples let through the envelope at the briefest of moments when the envelope goes up and down. I think it's possible that the sample rate for envelopes is far less than the sample rate of the project (e.g. LFOs in synth are similar, control rates are usually much lower than samples rates).

Maybe FL smooths its automation curves...

thanks for the responses!

MarcDHall, That could be it, but I've done some further experimentation and

I've actually noticed its not just massive, but all 3rd party vsts seem to have the problem in ableton and only on the synced lfo. If I automate massive's normal rate knob (not the sync-ratio), I experience no clicks or instances of it going slightly out of time.

I'm stumped..

I made an example of what i'm talking about. it happens 10 seconds into the clip.

soundcloud.com/replayyesterday/abletontest-1

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

in preferences, i set my plugin buffer size to 32 instead of "as audio buffer". This fixes the problem completely. No idea why, but at least it works now :cool:

Back