Massive Bass Tips

i would but there's just a lot of the terminologies and words that i just cannot understand. sometimes i get lucky and just pick up on their meaning. others, smh. for example there's the scream knob found on filter 1 just below the preset selector screen. is that the proper term? scream knob?

If you encounter words you don't understand, google 'em up. If you just "smh" every time you encounter something you don't understand, you're not gonna learn anything either. But no, "scream" isn't in any way official or technical, it's just NI's descriptive name for that particular filter type. There's a very straightforward explanation of it in the manual...but of course, in the end, it's just about how things sound. Understanding the terminology just helps you apply the knowledge elsewhere; you don't have to know what electronic components you'd need to build a filter to use it, for example. Useful, but not necessary.

If you encounter words you don't understand, google 'em up. If you just "smh" every time you encounter something you don't understand, you're not gonna learn anything either. But no, "scream" isn't in any way official or technical, it's just NI's descriptive name for that particular filter type. There's a very straightforward explanation of it in the manual...but of course, in the end, it's just about how things sound. Understanding the terminology just helps you apply the knowledge elsewhere; you don't have to know what electronic components you'd need to build a filter to use it, for example. Useful, but not necessary.

well i actually do google. i even saved a link that routes me to technical words and terms that engineers and producers use but unfortunately it isn't always spot on so i have to do a bit more researching. but i do wish i could recreate the scream filter in another filter plugin though. that would be something because i am not a lover of massive. lol never liked its flow.

EDIT:...have you seen that manual?? if i had to read all my manuals i would start mixing years from now. wrong thing to say but i kind of just play with it and figure things out that way and notate what i've gathered.

Last edited:
Well, I don't just automatically say "it's in the manual" without looking at said manual. See - it's not that I understand completely from that description what's going on, but combined from other gathered information it gives me an idea of what to look for and at least I get a rudimentary understanding of what's going on. The feedback loop emphasizes the resonance even more, causing distortion & "dirty" sound. If I didn't read it, I'd be just stumbling around in the dark and having no idea what's going on (besides hearing it, which is still the most important thing). All I'm saying is that the manuals should be the first point of reference when figuring out something like this, it's not like you have to read everything from cover to cover before you're allowed to do anything; you learn by doing, but gather a deeper understanding by looking into it a bit more. It's not a black and white "do this OR do that" situation, it's the notion of common sense & logic.

And yeah, I do agree that sometimes explanations of terms are too broad to be directly applicable or can be hard to understand in the context you're looking at. Then you just try to find a more understandable definition or cross-reference it to something else to understand it. Or just continue twistin' those knobs :)

I know this is going to sound very crazy, and I'm not preaching it as the best thing to do, but when I decide to learn a new software, I use a text-to-speech software to convert the manual to audio and I listen to it from cover to cover on my iPhone. (sometimes even the appendix) Does this teach me how to use the software? Not completely, but afterwards, I have a very clear perspective on the terminology. When a certain term is used, I know exactly what's being referred to. This may not be anyone else's cup of tea, but I love it.

Well, I don't just automatically say "it's in the manual" without looking at said manual. See - it's not that I understand completely from that description what's going on, but combined from other gathered information it gives me an idea of what to look for and at least I get a rudimentary understanding of what's going on.

the crazy thing is that i know reading the manual is essential but i go about it by skimming through too fast and not retain it hardly anything i just read. just have to focus and find out how can i read and retain what i've read better. plus i'm a hands on guy which is why i'm always so eager to twist knobs. :-)

I know this is going to sound very crazy, and I'm not preaching it as the best thing to do, but when I decide to learn a new software, I use a text-to-speech software to convert the manual to audio and I listen to it from cover to cover on my iPhone. (sometimes even the appendix) Does this teach me how to use the software? Not completely, but afterwards, I have a very clear perspective on the terminology. When a certain term is used, I know exactly what's being referred to. This may not be anyone else's cup of tea, but I love it.

you're crazy if you think that's a crazy way to learn. because that sounds like an excellent approach. hell people have been recording classroom discussions forever. your method sounds smart.

If you want to have good and massive bass(frequency not instrument) you will have 2 problems to solve:

1. bass interplay with the kick - the bass and kick ocuppy similar frequency and if kick and bass are very low the mix will be muddy, decide what you want to be the lowest instrument in your mix
2. level of bass in mix - in amateur mixes theres is too much bass

1st problem can be solved by:
a)sidechain bass with kick - bass will be play quiter when kick plays
b) EQ - if you boost 50hz on bass cut the same frequency on kick

2nd problem can be solved by:
a)multiband processing - you create a new channel and send bass and kick to it and put a multiband compressor on it and compress only lows(20-140hz) don't touch other bands and see what happens, you can now adjust level of bass and kick with one fader

b)harmonic generation - if your bass fundamental frequency is 50 you can boost multiply of it: 100, 150, 200, 250 etc (don't boost all of them)

Sorry for my english, hope it's understandable :) Peace

Last edited:
Back