Making your Kicks REALLLLY Knock....

Krummy, let's look at what Deranged said. To make your drum so call "knock", layering is not needed. Layering is needed to achieve a certain type of kick sound or to make the kick fuller dumb ass. To get a kick to knock, hell, just boost the bytch 6+dbs around 400hz and make cuts all all other frequencies and wah fuking lah, a knocking kick.

Mteezy said:
Krummy, let's look at what Deranged said. To make your drum so call "knock", layering is not needed. Layering is needed to achieve a certain type of kick sound or to make the kick fuller dumb ass. To get a kick to knock, hell, just boost the bytch 6+dbs around 400hz and make cuts all all other frequencies and wah fuking lah, a knocking kick.
I ain't wanna just tell the idiot he was a dumb muhfukka that didn't know sh*t. But if I knew I'd get called a dyckhead anyway, I would have, lol.

I'm tired of net thugs, too. sh*t get old.

BTW there's no right or wrong, it's all about making hot music. Your ears will always tell you what your track needs whether compression, freq adjustments, or nothing at all. But no need to do a buncha work for nothing. I thought I made that clear in my 1st post, but I'm such a dyckhead, I was prolly too busy stroking my own ego.

Last edited:
Mteezy said:

Yep, everyone is gonna gave knockin kicks now. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sound like a dickhead lol .. But 6db+ at 400hz? aint that going to give you one muddy kick?

Last edited:
Depending on the kick Noble. Usually, boosting at this area then compressing the kick gives my kicks the desired result. I make my own kicks.

Then also Noble, it depends on the sounds that are surrounding the kick aka all the sounds in the mix. The reason why most songs today sound so thin is because the take too much bottom out of the recordings.

Muddy doesn't automatically mean bad do it?

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I ain't wanna just tell the idiot he was a dumb muhfukka that didn't know sh*t. But if I knew I'd get called a dyckhead anyway, I would have, lol.

I'm tired of net thugs, too. sh*t get old.

BTW there's no right or wrong, it's all about making hot music. Your ears will always tell you what your track needs whether compression, freq adjustments, or nothing at all. But no need to do a buncha work for nothing. I thought I made that clear in my 1st post, but I'm such a dyckhead, I was prolly too busy stroking my own ego.

You were. (too busy stroking your own ego).

As far as telling "THIS dumb mah****a that doesn't know ****" anything... save it tough guy. I'd school the **** out of you and have degrees and certified Digidesign plaques to back it up.

And I'm no "net thug". I'm barely on Futureproducers. You on the other hand... not so much.

Anyway... everything in my first post was completely accurate and SUPER basic. It really is ashame that kids egos get in the way of their advice.

As I mentioned earlier the Threadstarter can feel free to PM me for any other tips. I'll try my hardest feed him as much "bull****" as I can.

Everything depends on what kick or drum you use but boosting 6db at or around 400hz on a kick drum isn't recommended. Mud would MOST likely... NOT ALL THE TIME THOUGH... be a problem in that area. Again it depends on the kick.

And yes... muddiness is always considered a "bad" thing.

Krummy? That's all you got?

First off, if muddyness was always a bad thing, them distressors and tube preamps woulds have never been created. And lastly, don't be a dumb fuk, eq and compress by ear, not by a diagram. Case closed.

Krumbz said:
But not everyone has "perfect" kicks in their arsenals.

Most usually have. It's just that they never use them (or even consider them a part of their "arsenals"). Most newbies would rather use a kick if it came from a "Lil jon kit" or "Kanye West kit", rather than from a <insert app or module name here> stock kit.

Mteezy said:
First off, if muddyness was always a bad thing, them distressors and tube preamps woulds have never been created. And lastly, don't be a dumb fuk, eq and compress by ear, not by a diagram. Case closed.

If you think Distressors and Tube Amps create "muddyness"... heh heh I don't know what to say.

Stop callin' people "dumb fuks" and educate yourself a little bit better.

This is the problem. Ego's.

And Orjan... you're right "newbies" don't have perfect kits. And I think it's fair to say that the TS seems new to production and engineering.

In other words he might not have the "quality" drum samples that we do. So what's he to do? What if purchasing these quality drum samples is out of the question due to financial situations?

Then you use what you got. And although there is no magic involved... if you have a weak kick drum you CAN add more punch and weight to it by compressing it.

And that's ALL I was saying in the first post.

Unbelievable.

*Edited because I called Orjan "Orion" instead for some reason. heh Sorry bout that man.

Okay I'm off to go weedwack my lawn. Easy.

Last edited:
sometimes i think we all takin this forum stuff a lil too seriously. after all these r just words on a computer. some people don't know how to type nice or just type as practical as they can forgetting the words like, please, or that's a good idea but you should do this. i ve gotten great info from both u guys and thats all that matter

Krumbz said:
And Orjan... you're right "newbies" don't have perfect kits. And I think it's fair to say that the TS seems new to production and engineering.

In other words he might not have the "quality" drum samples that we do. So what's he to do? What if purchasing these quality drum samples is out of the question due to financial situations?

Well he or her might not have to buy anything. Let me show you what I'm talking about:

Steve is a 15 year old that lives with his parents. He gets some pocketmoney from his parents, so he's got a little money, not much though. But he doesn't have any expences either, so his financial situation is much like every other 15 year old in the Western world.

When Steve is hungry, and has a couple of bills in his pocket, what do you think he is gonna choose; the McDonalds resturant on the corner, with the nice logos and fine ass girls behind the counter, or is he gonna go for a couple of slices of the whole-wheat bread, lying on the kitchen bench in its grey paper wrapping, that his parents already bought and paid for?

Selling sounds is no different than selling anything else. Hype is everything. McD can keep selling the shitty stuff they sell because people in general are stupid enough to buy it. Oh, did I say McD? I meant to say MB :o

Last edited:
From jump nikkas think they important enough that you are talking about them in general. That's where problems start. Not 1 muhfukka up here was the 1st to say "use compression on kicks", but they think they even on the radar. Next beer, next thread, and f**k all y;a''. Might as well show my azz. I just got a $3,500(editted 1 to many zeroes, I'm bend, lol) check on thursday from what the f**k I do. If you can't say the same....you can't say the same. lol. Late.

Last edited:
I do have to say that deranged's mix was pretty good and it had no eq (even tho the bassline was off key)..and IF possible i would like to see that reason file for learning purposes

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
From jump nikkas think they important enough that you are talking about them in general. That's where problems start. Not 1 muhfukka up here was the 1st to say "use compression on kicks", but they think they even on the radar. Next beer, next thread, and f**k all y;a''. Might as well show my azz. I just got a $3,500(editted 1 to many zeroes, I'm bend, lol) check on thursday from what the f**k I do. If you can't say the same....you can't say the same. lol. Late.

Heh heh.

You're unbelievable bro. Like I said earlier... I don't care who you know or how much money you make. Noone has questioned your track record. I am questioning your ability to communicate with others without being self righteous or arrogant.

You should of never indirectly referenced my advice as being "bull****". I DO appreciate you NOT sugar coating your opinion but at the same time I don't think it was necessary for you to blatantly disregard mine as being false.

I only intended to help the guy and I think I accomplished that until you came along and shot my advice down... ONLY to promote your own.

Being humble is a frequently absent trait in this business.

Nigga, I'll say again, you can't read. Using compression for "knock" is an excercise in futility. I didn't disagree with sh*t else you said. You ain't the 1st dumb muhf*cka to think it's a good Idea. I wasn't thinking about you when I made my post. That's the difference between me and you. I was the whole focus of yours that started this. You not on my radar.

As for humble, I'm drinking 68 Merlot out a dDisney glass with Ice, lol, that's as humble as it get.

If I wasn't on your radar you wouldn't have called my advice bull****.
You only came on my radar because of the blatant disrespect you showed. I smelled bull**** and had to call you out.

Sounds like you were getting a bit jealous actually. Hey I don't blame you... it was good advice that I gave him.

Have fun sippin' on your "68 Merlot". On your 500 ft yaht. With all of those naked super models strip dancing in your entertainment room next to the 6 mile wide HD T.V. screen.

I know how "big dogs" like you roll! Keepin' it real and all!

See you at the Grammies sucka...

Damn, nobody catched my analogy? What I tried to tell was that even though the sliced bread, which btw Steve already has at his disposal, would be much better for him and arguably also taste better with a little "tweaking" (your favorite bread spread will do the trick, whether it be french cheese or strawberry jelly, it's all in how you spread it, lol), it doesn't really matter, because Steve's brain is trained by society to believe that Justin Timberlake's apperance in a commercial is much more important.

I'm Lovin' It !

Back