Making your Kicks REALLLLY Knock....

^^^No doubt. I'm overstressing that I'm not trying to pick on anyone or throw around what I know(I honestly don't know much), just trying to make sure viewers who are here to learn are actually learning. Once you corrected yourself, you gave really good advice. :cheers:

For some reason I feel like I'm still sounding like a "elitist d!ckface" nomatter how much I try not to? F**k it, maybe I am one. lol.

nvprecords said:
another technique to make drums REALLY knock is to use two instances of the same kick/snare and pan them both left and right -10/+10

hope this helps

That's a damn good idea :cheers:

any other tips...

nvprecords said:
Quote me where i said 'timbaland created this technique' i inferred that he uses it, and yes it does boost the volume...therefore making it more prominent it the mix...therefore making it knock more and giving it more stereo presence, which is exactly what you want in a hop-hop track.

no, it doesn't give it anything, it'll be EXACTLY the same

the only difference is the volume

you gotta find a GOOD sample, i mean a GOOOD sample

if you LOVE the way it sounds, THAT'S the time when you may layer it with another, use some compression or EQ, if you have a GOOD REASON to do it

if you don't really like the sample then don't use any effect, technic or any magic, click the BROWSE button to find another

thats my 2c

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing is we agree on just about everything except for 1 thing.

I say you CAN bring out the "knock" of a kick thru compression and eq.
You say it's impossible.

I just want to clarify that I do agree with you as far as using quality samples but even those will end up being tweaked in Pro Tools at some point.

I do believe you shouldn't even use a compressor or an eq until mix time. I've already said that. But come mix time if you want to bring out some of those tones that will help to shape the kick more... YOU CAN... thru eq and compression.

Most kicks need some of the subs cut out... anything below 30 is garbage. You need to use an eq to do that. Same thing as the highs... most anything over 14 - 16khz you don't need in a kick. Cut em out.

I wasn't disagreeing with you on any other points. I didn't mind what you said... but HOW you said it.

Anyways... here's a quick example of bringing the "knock" out of a kick thru eq and compression.

Obviously its also a matter of taste.

Personally... I use parallel compression which is really the best of both worlds.

I havent taken the time to check the posts so if this is repeated well I dont give a shyt lol

A kick should be this

3 Layers

1 with all top and middle taken out.. (think 808 just has that boom)

this gives the kick body

then you need a kick with some middle (this gives it that knock)

cutting the low end..

then a final kick for the top this gives the kick clarity and allows the listener to here the kick in all areas of the mix but with a suttle smooth effect.. So its not over powering in the top end but just enough so that it cuts through the mix.

daze84 said:
I havent taken the time to check the posts so if this is repeated well I dont give a shyt lol

A kick should be this

3 Layers

1 with all top and middle taken out.. (think 808 just has that boom)

this gives the kick body

then you need a kick with some middle (this gives it that knock)

cutting the low end..

then a final kick for the top this gives the kick clarity and allows the listener to here the kick in all areas of the mix but with a suttle smooth effect.. So its not over powering in the top end but just enough so that it cuts through the mix.

That's definitely a way to go about shaping unique kicks but I think the Threadstarter wanted to know how to bring out the "knock" or "punch" of a kick.

Regardless I agree with you that you can combine different kicks together and take only certain freqs from them to create one singular nice round kick. With all the elements that YOU want in it.

And yada yada...

Aye, TonyV, Tracks 1 and Track 2 on your myspace got mad potential. I had to tell the truth on that track you posted though.

Mteezy said:
Aye, TonyV, Tracks 1 and Track 2 on your myspace got mad potential. I had to tell the truth on that track you posted though.
your right it's one of my generic dre tracks lol.

Last edited:
TonyV said:
hey krumbz and deranged does the kick on this track knock:D View attachment 16247

Well it's definitely a nice kick! However it does, IMO, need some EQing done to it as the low end is still a bit "flubbery" for my tastes.

Not a fan of the track but I definitely see where you are going with it!
:sing:

And what are those... oboes? Something is out of key there. Try transposing those woodwinds up or down a semitone or two.

See if that will bring it back in key.

Obviously these are just my opinions so take it with a grain of salt bro!

Goodluck and stay on it man!

Krumbz said:
Well it's definitely a nice kick! However it does, IMO, need some EQing done to it as the low end is still a bit "flubbery" for my tastes.

Not a fan of the track but I definitely see where you are going with it!
:sing:

And what are those... oboes? Something is out of key there. Try transposing those woodwinds up or down a semitone or two.

See if that will bring it back in key.

Obviously these are just my opinions so take it with a grain of salt bro!

Goodluck and stay on it man!
thanks for the feedback that was just a generic track i made with the tips i got on here .if you want to check out my good tracks check out my myspace page.:cheers:

Last edited:
i usually layer, and them when i dump into pro tools, i compress and eq the hell outta it, because of the better plug ins i have

This has been the most entertaining thread I've read in a long time lol. Although bickering, for whatever​
reason,
is counterproductive, I had a good chuckle. I wish the threadstarter the best of luck. I'ma go get my kicks right. Peace.

Last edited:
Back