Making your Kicks REALLLLY Knock....

Krumbz,

You coming up here with the wrong kind of attitude and everyone can see it. There's people up here who could end your career with one phone call. Yeah, that's right ... they'll call your supervisor at McDonalds.

souljaboyfan said:
Krumbz,

You coming up here with the wrong kind of attitude and everyone can see it. There's people up here who could end your career with one phone call. Yeah, that's right ... they'll call your supervisor at McDonalds.

Oh word?

I'll personally guarantee that NO ONE on this forum could "end my career with one phone call".

"Ending someones career" is about as cliche as it gets.

End my career then. Do it. I DARE you to even try.

Heh heh.

I see that this dude obviously has "fans" on this board. I think that's cute. He was obviously in the wrong for attacking me first yet still his nuthuggers are attempting to back the guy up.

This is why I don't frequent THIS forum as much as some others. It's a bunch of high school kids who form cyber cliques. It's semi-ridiculous... but hilarious nonetheless!

I have no problem with ANYONE on this forum except for whats his face. So why are other people getting involved?

Again... end my career. I'm saying that you CAN'T. So step up and prove it.

orjanbeats said:
Damn, nobody catched my analogy? What I tried to tell was that even though the sliced bread, which btw Steve already has at his disposal, would be much better for him and arguably also taste better with a little "tweaking" (your favorite bread spread will do the trick, whether it be french cheese or strawberry jelly, it's all in how you spread it, lol), it doesn't really matter, because Steve's brain is trained by society to believe that Justin Timberlake's apperance in a commercial is much more important.

I'm Lovin' It !

Nah yo I caught it! Made me chuckle actually. :D

Last edited:
Yo this turned super wack. every1 has ther own opinions. Theres alot of useful information in this thread so cant we just keep it on a positive note? lol

Thanks again for the information though. Both Krumbz and De Ranged.

Last edited:
If tube preamps don't add muddyness to tracks then what does it add. If your answer is warmth, then that means muddyness. Thanks and goodnight.

Krumbz said:
If I wasn't on your radar you wouldn't have called my advice bull****.
You only came on my radar because of the blatant disrespect you showed. I smelled bull**** and had to call you out.

Sounds like you were getting a bit jealous actually. Hey I don't blame you... it was good advice that I gave him.

Have fun sippin' on your "68 Merlot". On your 500 ft yaht. With all of those naked super models strip dancing in your entertainment room next to the 6 mile wide HD T.V. screen.

I know how "big dogs" like you roll! Keepin' it real and all!

See you at the Grammies sucka...
You can get a bottle of 68 Merlo for $25 at any wine vendor, grow up. I see why what I say seems so arrogant. You allow yourself to beleive I'm talking down to you.

As for jealous...of what? Incorrect advice.

And for the final time, you're not the 1st to say "use compression on kicks". You thought I was adressing you when I was adressing the same misinformation I address in 80 threads about kicks a day. Search FP for the words "kick" & "compression" you'll see a million threads. I say the same thing in all of them. It ain't about you, it ain't about me, it's about making a f**king kick knock. But whatever. Maybe I'll see you at the Ozones or Source...I'm not grammy status yet.

I'm such a "dickhead elitist" I hope you have my success 100 fold, so you know how it feels to be called everything you ain't for no apparent reason 100 times as much as I do.

Last edited:
Mix n blend...for example take a hollow kick, eq the bass out if it so its just pure mid, then take an 808 boom kick and layer it underneath the hollow kick so they fill up both the low and mid frequency.

another technique to make drums REALLY knock is to use two instances of the same kick/snare and pan them both left and right -10/+10

hope this helps

^^^Why bother? It will just make you look like an "elitist dickhead". He'll think he's the only person in the world who's ever ran two of the same sample simultaneously panned hard and he'll think you're talking down to him. I'll never give or correct advice on this muthaf**ka again.

I'll just stick to gossip and bullsh*t threads.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Why is it I alway "come off as the d!ckhead elitist", because somebody who think they know something spit bullsh*t and I'm nice enough to correct it without calling them out.

We'll do it your way tho. Since I've already been called a d!ckhead for no reason.

1. Compression is a leveling tool. Some idiot in the history of hip hop said compressing kick made them hit harder, and every other idiot who can't think for themselves enough to figure out sh*t on their own followed the formula. As a certified engineer I can tell you compression won't do sh*t positive to a kick. It just f**ks up the dynamics and makes it harder for a professional to fix when the time comes. However, compression is a fair game practice when using multiple instruments to give everything it's place in a mix. You don't compress for more thump/knock, you compress to make sounds sit well in a mix. Most scenarios, pan and voilume go alot further and if any compression is needed, usually moderate ammounts. It was different in analog era but we in a digital age, quit listening to RZA, his sound quality is not current.

2. Idiots often think "layering" is the answer when "overlaying" is part of any project. Quality stock drums come in everything from FL to Reason to MPC to Triton. "Layering" is the process of sticking 2 sounds together to make a new sound. "Overlaying" is creating compositions where 2 sounds hit at the same time. Believe it or not, professionals practice "overlaying" way more than "layering" one is a form of sound design(layering), while the other is a form of creating music where you continuously fill in empty space until your song is full. I advise the second, but it's up to you to choose your path.

3. Most speakers don't pick up lows well. Stuff below 40hz is often muffled. Lots of engineers like there lows around 78hz or higher.

Sorry for opening my mouth in the first place. Hope ya music stays sounding like sh*t if you don't wanna learn nothing. Mine's is aiight. I don't need help making drums knock. And I don't get my info off no website written by some other random smart-dumb muhfukka who halfway know what he talking about.

This was done in Reason with stock drums. No layering, no freq adjustment, no compression/EQ, just use of Vol, Pan, and the M Class Limiter for loudness on export. Get like me, since I'm such a "d!ckhead knowitall", it shouldn't be hard, byches. You ain't gotta tell me it's hot, you know it is even tho you won't, and I got nikkas that matter who tell me.

yeah yeah

deRaNged is right

compression and layering are both great tools, but not for make bad sounding samples KNOCK

in my opinion, drum compressing is an overrated thing, it can be sound good but won't bring life into your dead drum hits

maybe except if you're using ssl

nvprecords said:
Its actually a timbaland technique...it just makes your kick/snare really stand out. try it out..

maybe you didn't describe it right but by doubleing the same sample and panning them L-R with the same amount you don't do nothing

you'll have the same kick with boosted volume

nvprecords said:
Its actually a timbaland technique...it just makes your kick/snare really stand out. try it out..

well it just makes the kick/snare louder... i doubt timbaland developed the technique of turning up the volume of the kick or snare

Last edited:
orjanbeats said:
well it just makes the kick/snare louder... i doubt timbaland developed the technique of turning up the volume of the kick or snare

Piff, Timbaland invented the kick ... and some say, even the snare. :bigeyes:

orjanbeats said:
Quote me where i said 'timbaland created this technique' i inferred that he uses it, and yes it does boost the volume...therefore making it more prominent it the mix...therefore making it knock more and giving it more stereo presence, which is exactly what you want in a hop-hop track.

Last edited:
nvprecords said:
it works...

well this just proves the point in one of my previous posts in this topic... In case you forgot:
orjanbeats said:
Well he or her might not have to buy anything. Let me show you what I'm talking about:

Steve is a 15 year old that lives with his parents. He gets some pocketmoney from his parents, so he's got a little money, not much though. But he doesn't have any expences either, so his financial situation is much like every other 15 year old in the Western world.

When Steve is hungry, and has a couple of bills in his pocket, what do you think he is gonna choose; the McDonalds resturant on the corner, with the nice logos and fine ass girls behind the counter, or is he gonna go for a couple of slices of the whole-wheat bread, lying on the kitchen bench in its grey paper wrapping, that his parents already bought and paid for?

Selling sounds is no different than selling anything else.
Hype is everything. McD can keep selling the shitty stuff they sell because people in general are stupid enough to buy it. Oh, did I say McD? I meant to say MB :o

Just because somebody says it's a "Timbaland technique", then all of a sudden it HAS to be some sort of magic, secret technique that instantly does wonders for your drums... I could have understand it if you said something about processing the different instances of the drum seperately, making it sound stereo, but simply doubling it and panning it equal to each side does nothing more than raising the volume...

nvprecords said:
Quote me where i said 'timbaland created this technique' he uses it, and yes it does boost the volume...therefore making it more prominent it the mix...
nvprecords said:
well its making it more prominent in the mix yes, but it also takes up more space in the mix. turning the volume knob or fader does the exact same thing... how do you know timbaland uses it? have you been in the studio with him?

nvprecords said:
Quote me where i said 'timbaland created this technique' i inferred that he uses it, and yes it does boost the volume...therefore making it more prominent it the mix...therefore making it knock more and giving it more stereo presence, which is exactly what you want in a hop-hop track.
it's pretty frustrating when you keep editing the post that I quoted, making me look like i make the shit up that you write. no it does NOT give it any "stereo presence"... let me quote myself once more:
I could have understand it if you said something about processing the different instances of the drum seperately, making it sound stereo, but simply doubling it and panning it equal to each side does nothing more than raising the volume...

Last edited:
I know for a fact it's not a Timbaland technique unless he started using it after 2001. I seriously doubt he did. He's aware of the same sh*t everyone else has said about this "technique".

"Drum knock" threads suck. Why is it so hard to believe it's nothing but good drums and volume?

And why am I always called a "knowitall" for giving a solution a 5 year old has no problem understandiong?

Yeah, f**k "Drum Knock/Thump/Punch" Threads.

Last edited:
orjanbeats said:
well its making it more prominent in the mix yes, but it also takes up more space in the mix. turning the volume knob or fader does the exact same thing...
thats true it does just boost the volume .I dont personally use fruity loops or WAVs, and if i were to use this technique id use two different samples at different ranges and pan them. - as for the timbaland technique someone told me he does this.

Last edited:
nvprecords said:
another technique to make drums REALLY knock is to use two instances of the same kick/snare and pan them both left and right -10/+10

hope this helps
nvprecords said:
thats true it does just boost the volume but it makes it fuller...I dont personally use fruity loops or WAVs, and if i were to use this technique id use two different samples at diffrent ranges and pan them. - as for the timbaland technique someone told me he does this.
Not being a prick, just supporting my statements. You just described 2 completely different techniques.

Yes, Timbaland does use 2 completely different samples panned away from each other to create sounds. Often.

This technique is called "Overlaying"...I discussed it as an alternative to "layering" a while back when I was being an "elitist d!ckhead", lol.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:

Yes, Timbaland does use 2 completely different samples panned away from each other to create sounds. Often.

This technique is called "Overlaying"...I discussed it as an alternative to "layering" a while back when I was being an "elitist d!ckhead", lol.
Thats what i meant...

Last edited:
Back