Making sampled beats stand out

Myrical Lyfe

So I hit a wall. Again. Sometimes I can find good sounds to fit my sampled beats, usually just one shots ect. But I feel about 75% of the time, i can't get sounds to sit in properly, then I get frustrated and move on.

Now so you all understand how I do my samples. I chop something up, lay some drums, and try to make a full 4 bar loop with my sample. Smooth, all one after the other. Is that my problem? Trying to make complete melodies with samples? I can do this in a matter of ten minutes with nearly any sample, but then get stuck thinking I can't get to the next level without adding other sounds.

Or am I just going nuts? :rolleyes:

So I hit a wall. Again. Sometimes I can find good sounds to fit my sampled beats, usually just one shots ect. But I feel about 75% of the time, i can't get sounds to sit in properly, then I get frustrated and move on.

Now so you all understand how I do my samples. I chop something up, lay some drums, and try to make a full 4 bar loop with my sample. Smooth, all one after the other. Is that my problem? Trying to make complete melodies with samples? I can do this in a matter of ten minutes with nearly any sample, but then get stuck thinking I can't get to the next level without adding other sounds.

Or am I just going nuts? :rolleyes:

I think it really just takes time, practice, experimentation, and some luck. If you could make sick ass beats every time you tried then there would be a lot more competition out there. What i'm trying to say is, it's easy to make a beat, but it's not THAT easy, especially to make something quality. Think of someone like Harry Fraud, who puts out a lot of quality... but that's his MAIN job and he's been doing it for a decade... and I gurantee he still gets some samples he can't flip in 10 minutes (or come up with the rinal product that fast)

Believe me, i'm trying to do the same thing you're doing. I've googled far and wide and the answer is, study beats you like... not just listen, but study why you like them, then apply it to your stuff.. to me, drums are so easy and when layed over a shitty sound it will make a decent sounding "beat"... so skip the drums, focus on the instrumentaiton first and make that strong, then drop drums on it

Last edited:
Back