Making a proper r&b track

R

rurokenji

Hi guys,

I have been wondering about this for quite some time, now. But how does one go about composing an r&b track? And when i say r&b track, i don't mean most of the recent stuff being released but the proper old school like babyface's, jodeci (forever my lady, is a fav of mine) stuff and r kelly. Trey songz - neighbors know my name is also a really good recent example. Like when i hear those kinda tracks, they sound more like they have been really composed, well. Like the way, how all the instruments are arranged and their melodies. I am not trying to disrespect anyone's musical taste's or anything. I understand, music theory is a given in regards to this but is there anything i need to be aware of. I have heard that harmonization is also crucial, as well. I have come to the understanding from reading various posts and threads that the production of r&b i (well, old r&b and not the hip hop/r&b that people post over youtube which are literally hip hop tracks but with a piano melody lol) is different from the production of hip hop. Any tips, guys?

Thanks!

And also, in regards to basslines? Any specifc things i need to be aware of for the basslines? They do seem pretty dominant in most r&b songs,..Almost like they are driving the melody and everything..or maybe, thats just me haha

Last edited by a moderator:
making 90's/80's r&b

hey guys,

How does one go about creating a smooth 90's/80's r&b track? I am a big fan of 90's r&B. Any instruments i need to be aware of, settings, tempo etc? And when i say, r&b..i don't mean recent hip hop/r&B which is pretty much a hip hop beat lol

Yo what's good? This is a track I just started on the intro. You want to compose something like this, right? Something romantic and slow vibe. Not sure if this is exactly what you're loooking to do but thought I post this as an example.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=610145722401555&l=5157810279039322898

The Trey song required a real electric guitar. I don't play guitar so I can't comment on it. Just play the lead part with the guitar and use an arp in the background. Also reference some of your fav songs and work from their arrangement. If you ever listen to contemporary worship they use a lot of chord progression in it. Take those chords and use it on an R&B track they work really well imo.

As for basslines, the most common form are gliding bass and the growling bass. The growling bass is very subtle and drives the song. It keeps growling in the background. Sub bass sit in the 40-50 hertz. I think I had it on the video. Check above. I usually make a short introduction and end it with the gliding bass. It's very effective.

As for leads, use a detune sine and layer it with a triangle and set it to poly and then play a chord. That's how Babyface got his. Also use modulation. These are just the sounds I would choose. Everybody does it differently.

hey dude,

Your a legend, man! You hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly the kind of r&b i want to make - that slow/romatic stuff. Your track sounds quite good - very babyface ish.

Yeah,i thought as much that the trey song guitar bit was made with a real guitar. Ah, that is good tip - taking chords from contemporary worship...They are kinda similar r&b and contemporay worship.

Ok, when you say gliding bass, do you mean like the one used in omarion's - o; 9the bass used throughout the whole song)

Omarion - O (video) - YouTube

and when you say growling bassline, do you mean the one used at 3.16? (from my understanding, that's achieved by rolling your fingers across the keyboard, right?) . And also, what are the bassline placements? Is it gliding for verse and growing for chorus? And also, how do i achieve the growl/glide? I have got triology vst.

Also, what is the usual tempo range for r&b (and also for slow jam r&b)? And also, how did you create that sexy/romantic vibe? Was it through the instruments or the tempo? I van't put my finger on it lol

also, do you have any tips for arrangement? Like i have noticed the arrangement for r&b tracks are very organized and full sounding. Any things, i need to consider?

Last edited by a moderator:
hey dude,

Your a legend, man! You hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly the kind of r&b i want to make - that slow/romatic stuff. Your track sounds quite good - very babyface ish.

Yeah,i thought as much that the trey song guitar bit was made with a real guitar. Ah, that is good tip - taking chords from contemporary worship...They are kinda similar r&b and contemporay worship.

Ok, when you say gliding bass, do you mean like the one used in omarion's - o; 9the bass used throughout the whole song)

Omarion - O (video) - YouTube

and when you say growling bassline, do you mean the one used at 3.16? (from my understanding, that's achieved by rolling your fingers across the keyboard, right?) . And also, what are the bassline placements? Is it gliding for verse and growing for chorus? And also, how do i achieve the growl/glide? I have got triology vst.

Also, what is the usual tempo range for r&b (and also for slow jam r&b)? And also, how did you create that sexy/romantic vibe? Was it through the instruments or the tempo? I van't put my finger on it lol

It's hard for me to tell if the bass is growling or not. But it seem to me the growling bass is played throughout the verses. The gliding bass would be the one at 3:16. You can make an 8 bar intro and at the end of the 8 bar throw in the gliding bass or you could use it right before the chorus. It's up to you however you want to do it. Gliding bass occur through release and tension as the song build up. Just like in electronic music you have a reverse right before a crash. It's a really simple concept. It's more catchy if you use it right at the beginning though. And then singing start.

In Triology just pick a sample and use the pitch bend. I'm not sure if you can roll the keys with your hand though cuz it will still be slow. You probably have to end up editing the midi notes and automate it to where you want it.

To get the vibe have a good chord progression going and tighten up the playing. I like to work around 70-88. For slow jam I think slower. 60-65.

For arrangement I like to use intro, verse 1, bridge, chorus, verse 2, bridge, chorus, a new bridge that completely change the mood of the song, then back to chorus. Just let the chorus repeat to the end of song. Another form is to start with the chorus first, then let the music play for a little bit, then start with verse 1, bridge, then back to chorus. This one I don't hear a lot. It's a nice one you should try it. ^

Last edited:
I do a lot of R&B and Neo Soul production and I would say the biggest hurdles are the chords, so get them out of the way with.
Also have a look at my tutorial regarding playing chords for R&B. The bassline would be based around the root (lowest) key of each chords and also the 5th which is the mid point of any scale or octave.

Back