making music for someone / something

046oh

when you want to make music for something specific (a friend, a drawing, or a photograph) how do you go about it?
i really like animations and cute drawings, and i thought it would be nice if i could make music for images.
and i want to give music as a present to my friends when i get better at producing.

but right now i can get inspiration from sounds and try to emulate that sound, but i can't really "hear" anything from pictures.
i can imagine what kind of sounds (saw bass, chiptune-ish treble) would go for some animation characters i like, but i can't come up with solid music.

what are your tips and how can i practice?

I made music for a couple of small time independent video games and its pretty simple you just look play the game or look at the animation without music and come up with music for it.

Whatever you come up with usually fits perfect. Its your creative vision

I've made music for my friends book they're working on. For a character named Audicia. They gave me a pretty descriptive bio of Audicia (personality, what civilization he's from, and where he is going) basically he said he wanted the song to sound scary, and atnospheric at first, and then as it builds it he wanted it to sound like a fight scene.

Really its just all about having fun, and laying down your idea as best as possible, even if you don't think it's working. Just start somewhere, anywhere, and work off if that.

You can listen to this song. Audicia theme on my youtube channel. Have fun :)

thanks for your input!

i enjoyed your Audicia theme. A LOT.
i also liked the Rapteroid song too :D

Hey thanks for listening and Rapteroid I appreciate it. Exactly with Audicia I didn't know where to start; so I just opened this sytnth called gargoyle by de la mancha which is sorta an expiremental vst that creates all these creepy noises, and just throw some reverb in there and you got some creepy atmospheric sounds. From there I used a lot of soundfonts to create the orhestral noises. Including the piano and strings.

Melody wise I wasn't sure how the theme I wanted it to be, and this is sorta why its not really heard until the very end. But the beggining i wanted to give a feeling of intensity and resentment, and 'un-resolved'. Which slowly trancends into sadness and hope, which then goes through the build up which is 'figuring things out', and then the breakdown which is the answer to everything, and just defiant. So ya.

thanks for listening :D

Last edited:
Back