Making a first song...

davidvaillant

Hi,
I am a new producer and I took an online course on FL Studio so I pretty much understand everything and know how to work my way through Fruity but now I really want to produce my first song but I have no idea in what order do I need to make an electronic song (EDM). Do I come up with a melody first or what? Anyway, thank you for answering!

Hi David,

It's difficult to explain how to make a track, because for every producer it's a different process, based on how you feel, how inspired you are etc.

I'll try to explain how I made my latest release 'Forever'. (You can find the track on spotify and soundcloud (Kevin Gijsen – Forever))

In my opinion the most simple thing to do when you don't have inspiration or a melody in mind is to make chords. Just 4x4 bars in a certain BPM ofcourse.
Try some notes and try to catch the feeling of the chords, then you can make a melody within the chords. When I dont have any inspiration I Always start with the chords. Make a sound in your synthesizer and start playing chords.

Sometimes I'll start with the drop, the other time I start with a buildup or a chorus, you'll have to experience it to get to know what suits you the best. That can be a hard process but try to learn something everyday.

1. Pick a synth who you can layer in your piano Roll (I Always create one with 8 voices (sylenth1))
2. Create some chords
3. Write the melody in the same scale as your chords
4. Lowest notes as the bass (Ofcourse)

I hope my answer helped you a bit, if you want to know more of have some other questions, you can send me a direct message or email me.

Last edited:
I usually come up with a bass line or chord progression first. Or I find a sample I really dig and make a track around that. Honestly just do what comes to your mind first and work around that!

Back