Making Custom Beats Help

J

Joseph_Music

hey everyone so from my understanding i need to learn scales and chords on the piano for me to make custom beats is this correct. so if i pick a scale of lets say a major i can play a melody in that scale and also chords inside that same of any instrument i would like example brass strings etc and everything will sound good together please let me know what else i will need to know so i can make custom made beats for hiphop and rnb.

thank you all.

Hey man! That's awesome you're getting into making beats! Enjoy the never ending road of growth and learning!

Just because you play notes in the same scale doesn't mean it will sound good. The melody compliments the chord progression and vice versa.

One thing I can't stress enough is that music their came AFTER music.. So, don't worry so much about the theory.

Just pick a scale you like and start experimenting.

If it sounds good it sounds good. Often times great pieces don't follow the rules of music theory because they are just theories.. They are not 100%

If you ever need any questions answered quickly you can email me at:
steve@eyeamperiod.com/

Hope I helped!

hey man,

once you already know the major/minor scales, learn harmonic and melodic minor. it is VERY helpful to learn intervals but this is usually a pitfall for most people...it just takes time and practice. I literally used flash cards and drilled the shit out of myself to learn these...then would later bring it to the keyboard, every.single.day.--- during that time you will learn the concepts of augmented and diminished qualities. It's sink or swim and I knew i was gonna swim.

from there, it is then easy and helpful to learn basic chords; then progress from there. this is going to take a lot of practice...i am not aware of an easy way to learn it without practice and work.

there are many places online where you can learn this stuff, I recommend browsing around and seeing which presentation is easiest for you.
when I was initially learning (and still am learning) i find free sites with worksheets that allow me to write it out on a staff (check my answers) and practice at the same time. this way I have a visual accompaniment to allow further understanding of what is going on musically.

after that, consider looking into fifth chords and minor Major seventh chords. they will assist in traversing chords from one key to another, while keeping the listener intrigued.

i have also found it helpful to look into specific classical music examples of how some of the greats have done it. learn from the works of those who wrote great pieces of work.

keep at it. it takes work.:cheers:

Last edited:
Hey my man. I specialize in chord progressions and scales etc. I have a number of free samples up on my site. Learning all the chords in one scale is useful but you still will need variation in order for it to stand out.
My chord progression will "borrow" chords from other scales to give it that character. Not just any scales but two scales that compliments each other.
For example you could play chords from a simple C major scale then throw in a Bbmaj for that twist. Bb major and C major compliment each other nicely, especially in soul music. They have similar notes except for the black keys.

Back