Making a bridge...?

Nait Phoenix

Beat of the RhythmiCity
How do you go about making a bridge to your song? :hmmm:

A bridge has to be the build-up to the final hook/chorus, so it means as much as any part of the song. But, how do you make your bridges? :cool:
  • Do you experiment with different chord progressions that are different from the verses/hooks/choruses?
  • Do you change the beat up?
  • Do you make the bridge entirely different than the rest of the song via sounds, drum patterns, notes, key, etc.?
  • Do you just take out/add-in parts of your verse/pre-chorus/hook to make an easier transition to the final hook/chorus?
  • Or do you not make a bridge at all and just continue with the verse/hook pattern since your style of music doesn't require it?
Not every song has a bridge, but when you feel the song needs one, where does your mind go into making one that will finally lead into the last hook/chorus/end of song?

I think it really depends on the type of song that your'e doing. You can basically take it any way that you mentioned in your post. It's really about the feeling, vibe, mood, etc. It can be as simple as dropping an instrument out or completely changing tempo and rhythm. It just has to make sense for that particular record that you're working on. I will say that I believe the bridge is one of the most important aspects of a song. There are a lot of songs that I would love until it got to the bridge and just destroyed the vibe. Then there are orders that are done so perfect that it exactly gets you moving or change your facial expression when you hear it. But I don't think there's a real structure to it. just common guide lines. much like a lot of things wth songwriting and production.

do a search on how to create a bridge here on fp and read through the many results that pop up....

Just add different instruments. Add mix effects, you know make it different than the last time you went into the hook. It's not very hard to do. Damn even a piano would do it.

Just add different instruments. Add mix effects, you know make it different than the last time you went into the hook. It's not very hard to do. Damn even a piano would do it.

Thank you for that, but I really just wanted to know how you guys go about making a bridge. I listen to a lot of instrumentals on this site, and the one thing I rarely/never hear is a bridge. I just wanted to know if anyone goes through that process, and if they do, how... I know how to make a bridge. :D

I think I have probably written a bridge using all the methods you have described here :)

For me, it's generally good to have a structure in mind when I write a song, but I never plan to do a certain thing for the bridge until I get there. It's what really comes into my head.

The key for me is contrast. It has to really stand out from the chorus and verse. Being a keys player, I always enjoy playing around with harmony, so I often use a different chord progression. However, you could just as easily change the rhythm or time signature for a different effect

Probably the simplest method is to repeat a verse, chorus or pre-chorus with loads of parts taken out as a kind of breakdown which can be effective in leading into the final chorus.

I don't know if any of this helps, as it seems from your post that you have a good idea what to do already!

Back