Making beats with happy mood then switch to darker mood ??

BeatsByD

I want to make these type of beats where it starts happy sounding then switching to some darker sounding beat.

Here is an example

@1.02 the mood switches over to a darker beat

Do i have to change the scale completely or keep it in same scale or how ?

I have no idea right now

Last edited:
I want to make these type of beats where it starts happy sounding then switching to some darker sounding beat.

Here is an example

@1.02 the mood switches over to a darker beat

Do i have to change the scale completely or keep it in same scale or how ?

I have no idea right now

Normally it changes the scale you're using. Most of times, major scales are attached to "happy" in music, and minor scales are attached to "moody". So you can change from a major to a minor and so on without any problems.

One thing you can do that sounds pretty similar to the example is suddenly start switching between a scale and the same type of scale but one semitone up e.g. A minor and Bb minor.

Also switching from a major scale to the enharmonic minor can have that kinda effect e.g A major to A minor.

This whole song is in the same key - the happier sounding first half is actually in minor scale (D Sharp Minor), but has a kind of sentimental feel much like the reverse of how you can have a sad sounding song in a major scale.

The reason the second bit sounds dark and menacing is becuase the bassline starts going up and down in semitones (next note up with no gap), which means it plays D sharp then E. To get that feel is very easy - just pick any note or key you want your bassline to start on, then alternate between it and the next note up on the keyboard. This gives things an "evil" feel, you can hear it in everything from dubstep to the Psycho theme tune and it's a very cool and simple way of making music sound "dark"

This whole song is in the same key - the happier sounding first half is actually in minor scale (D Sharp Minor), but has a kind of sentimental feel much like the reverse of how you can have a sad sounding song in a major scale.

The reason the second bit sounds dark and menacing is becuase the bassline starts going up and down in semitones (next note up with no gap), which means it plays D sharp then E. To get that feel is very easy - just pick any note or key you want your bassline to start on, then alternate between it and the next note up on the keyboard. This gives things an "evil" feel, you can hear it in everything from dubstep to the Psycho theme tune and it's a very cool and simple way of making music sound "dark"

Thanks for your answer.

The bassline going up and down thing is the same thing for the deep piano right ?

You say bassline go up and down in semitones, but youre going to skip the notes that aint in the scale i guess?

Last edited:
Back