Make Sample sound vintage

bousebeats

What's up producers?

My question today is: how can you make a melody sound so vintage and "crunchy" without being too crunchy.. like in this song Gucci Mane Drove U Crazy (Prod. by OZ)

Anybody know about OZ? He's a really creative producer and always when asked he says that he doesn't use samples. I just don't get, how he makes the melodies sound so old but still fresh. Maybe a special way of post-processing or is it more the production phase?

Thanks for alle help!

in this video he shows how he did the thing. he says that he put fx on the piano to make it sound that distinct way, but I don't get which fx would be able to make it sound that way...

Last edited:
I have no idea how it was actually done in reality of course, but to my ears it sounds like there's at least 2 effects contributing to that vintage-y piano sound. It kinda sounds like an old radio, ie. lots of honky midrange. It also wobbles and flutters kinda like an old broken tape. The first can be done by any EQ really + some lofi effect, at least to an extent. The flutter needs a specific plugin, which makes the sound go wonky like that.

It actually sounds quite close to a free plugin I use all the time called Lo-Fizer. It has an effect called Speaker Sim, which has a setting called Old Radio, which basically EQ's and lofis the sound to sound, well, like an old radio. It also has an effect called Wow-n-flutter, which as the title suggests, wows and flutters the sound.

I suggest you download that free plugin, put on a fresh piano loop, test it with some settings and possibly alter the wet/dry ratio on your DAW, as the plugin can be a bit too overpowering sometimes. It might get you in the ballpark.

i had a plugin once that made sample sound vintage some years ago , cant rmemeber the name of the vst , but basically it adds the crackles and artifacts into your track

I think you mean Izotope Vinyl. It's good for adding some texture/air to the track.

@Barfunkel

The WOW-n-Flutter Effect makes it sound like O.Zs Production. Thank you, it helped!

I think you mean Izotope Vinyl. It's good for adding some texture/air to the track.

@Barfunkel

The WOW-n-Flutter Effect makes it sound like O.Zs Production. Thank you, it helped!

No probs! There are probably better tools for the job, tools that cost money that is. Still, there's plenty of free plugins out there, some of them pretty good. I currently make my stuff almost solely with free plugins, being in a tough financial situation.

Back