Major Scales!!!!!!!!

ScalesLRp

Is it just me or is it hard to make a song that doesnt sound like a frickin nursery rhyme with major scales? What is the secret? I usually only use minor scales cause it sounds corny if not. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
No idea, I guess anything can sound corny if you aren't careful. Try writing some parts of the track in a modal scale, or the relative minor or both. You could have an upbeat happy vibey part for a chorus and swith the relative minor for a verse etc, or use a mode of the major scale for a middle 8 etc etc.

major scales can sound great.
Corny sounding compositions dissapear after LOTS of practice and LOTS of experience. Just keep doing what you do and you'll get better. One way to get better quicker is to try re-creating songs in your FL or whatever sequencer or DAW you use. Then you'll slowly start to understand how important composition is... especially notes & scales!

p.s I've seen composers write GREAT tunes who don't even know the theory behind scales. They just know what sounds good.

Last edited:
your probably just using major chords. try extending your chords pass the 5th interval. I used yo have this same problem until I started adding a 7th 9th or 13th to my chords.

Even if you are just using the basic major chords you can make some really nice material. Practice you gotta build the direction

Cyko said:
Even if you are just using the basic major chords you can make some really nice material. Practice you gotta build the direction

Yes i agree and also inversions can create nice sounding chords.

Get a chord book and look for more chords. Try to mix it up.. and VOICING is KEY in making good music. It's possible to make good songs with just major chords, its just how you use them. Remember that.. most songs are voiced, which means they take certain notes in that chord, replace it with bass notes, etc. Look up into it and learn it well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back