major/minor scales used in EDM

R

rurokenji

Hey guys,

In regards to EDM genre's such as dubstep, deep house and future garage, are most songs made using major or minor? I have come under the impression that most EDM including those three mentioned above (especially mordern deep house) are made using minor...can anyone help me out?

Thanks

so, I've thought about this for a few days as I wanted to be clear myself before giving an answer

Without extensive analysis of existing tracks, the following is simply supposition and is based on many decades of melodic writing and songwriting/composition/orchestrating/arranging.

caveats aside, any track can use a major or minor scale to create a happy or sad melodic and harmonic framework

- it is the intervals in the melody that determine the tonality perceived not the scale from which they are derived.
- similarly, the chord progression can be major or minor influenced, depending on whether you choose to use a major chord to harmonise the melodic tones or a minor chord
- any melodic tone can be found in three triads in the major or minor, allowing you to use, major, minor, augmented or diminished as the underlying harmony
- which chord you choose is based on personal taste and sometimes on the needs of the progression; allowing for ii-V-I|ii-V-i finality perhaps or other cadential forms...

Last edited:
Back