Lyrical Syncopation - Making Enough Space For Rappers

Majestic Mastermind

Eat, Sleep, Breathe MUSIC
What's up, I remember seeing a couple of posts by a guy on here that was talking about beats, rhythm and lyrical syncopation. I tried to PM the guy but I guess he doesn't answer PM's or notice when someone is talking to him

Do you personally make beats not as complex to allow room for the rapper? If so how how do you do this? I know one way is to not put too many instruments in, usually a progression and a melody is enough, and MAYBE a counter melody in the chorus/hook

I just want to look out for the rapper with my beats in the future, they need room too.

Discuss. If you want to be a troll, please do it somewhere else, this is a topic for people who want to improve their craft not act like a clown.

I'd also like to hear what people say. Instead of making beats I used to compose songs, I'm wondering what everyone does to make sure they don't overpower the rapper. Also, what do you usually add to the verse beat for the chorus, if anything at all

I've only worked with vocalists once and that was a long time ago, so I know what you mean... you are writing songs (beats - it all amounts to the same thing I think) and finishing them without a vocal so its hard to know. I would suggest finding tracks that include an instrumental and then compare the vocal mix against the instrumental. You could also post your work in the relevent section on this forum and see what people say. You could also find someone to work with and just ask them what they want. Also listen to the structure of the kind tracks you are trying to make, count how many bars intro, how many verse, how many chorus, listen to what makes the chorus identifiable from the verse etc

Listen to some of the music today!! I dont listen to secular music myself but I still hear it and it hasnt been that long since I stopped. but there is a lot of professional music out there today that has ton of instruments and all kinds of crap in it... yet they still figure some way to get the rapper sounding good on the track(as long as the rapper doesnt suck). Im not a professional but I have an amount of recording experience and at the end of the day it comes down to recording, compressing, eq, and things of that nature that allows you to place the artist at that right spot in the track... my suggestion is to forget about the rapper for the most part when your making the music because this is your composition and if it sounds like your best track ever you going to change it for the artist??? I dont think so... But thats me

Back