Looking for pointers on this Yung Lean bass

Elliottproducer

Here is the song:

Loving these kicks. I'm just looking for some pointer on how to get my bass to sound like this for a track. I have plenty of drum samples and I'm using FL.

There are 2 methods for this sound:

1. Add a subbass and a kick to your liking (preferrably a very short and tight kick) and mix them well together. Make sure the kick is in key with the bassline, add them together, maybe do some basic sidechained compression with just light reduction with fairly fast release as the bass sounds perfectly glued together with the kick. Try different phases/polaritities to see where the kick really sits ontop of the bass the best. Then play them together and balance them with an EQ on the kickchannel.
Then the bassline has some very mean sounding saturation on it. I'd say crank the drive a bunch, gain adjust it, then EQ the new frequencies. You can hear the bassline even has some clarity to it, meaning the drive is heavy, but it's still not overpowering, meaning it may be EQ'd. You may need to experiment with this until you get the perfect sound.
Pros: You have full control
Cons: Takes much longer time

2. Use a kicksynth; either make one yourself in your favourite synth, or use a dedicated plugin for it like Sonic Academy's Kick or so. Then do your regular kick sound, but play full length MIDI notes so the bassline after the hit continue for your desired time. Spend some time balancing it with the right volume envelope shape as you can't rely on the EQ for the punch doing this, as you'll only boost the bassline as well.
If you want to shift note without getting another kick, you could use velocity linking to disable the kick and just edit that in the notes.
Then do some saturation.
Pros: Way more simple
Cons: Less control and the sound may be more sensitive to heavy saturation

Back