Looking for insight on a few sounds.

aceover9

I asked about other sounds in another topic and then buried this question in there and probably ended up getting the question out properly...

There are three sounds I'm interested in.

The first starts at very late :23. Pretty much :24. Sounds very similar to the others but more synthy. Looking to reproduce that exact sounds.

The second starts at late :46 pretty much :47. It is VERY similar but slightly different. I don't know if it's the removal of effects that achieves it or what.

The third starts at 1:56. Not the backing sound but the sound leading the melody.

With these I could actually tackle my project with decent results... They are all kind of "Asian" sound and I want to make sure I nail them perfect. They are similar to ones I've asked about before but something is different.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st one has lfo mod on the pitch/filter pitched in 4ths (two layers of a 4th leading to a 7su4 chord harmonising the melodic movement)
2nd one has no modulation but otherwise voiced the same way on the melody
3rd one is a breath pad type sound using the same voicing as the first two

1st one has lfo mod on the pitch/filter pitched in 4ths (two layers of a 4th leading to a 7su4 chord harmonising the melodic movement)
2nd one has no modulation but otherwise voiced the same way on the melody
3rd one is a breath pad type sound using the same voicing as the first two

Is there a good place to find get some education on all of those things if you happen to be someone who doesn't understand a lot of the science behind it all? Such as what '4ths" are?

4ths are the intervals that the melody line is harmonised in

e.g melody is

c-d-f-d-g-f-d-a-c

the harmony line above is

f-g-bb-g-c-bb-g-d-f

the harmony line below is

g-a-c-a-d-c-a-e-g

i.e. the whole line might be
G7sus4A7sus4C7sus4A7sus4D7sus4C7sus4A7sus4E7sus4G7sus4
fgbbgcbbgdf
cdfdgfdac
gacadcaeg

i.e. every chord is a 7sus4 - no definite tonality as the 3rd is absent from each chord

as for the sounds - experience and just listening to your presets with the same line noticing what the sound does as the line continues to play

Back