Location of drums in mixer?

Sidewalker

Hi everyone,

First, I am quite new to the music production thing so be gentel :)

I have read all kind of articles / documentation about how to arrange the drums in a mixer and got quite confused, I must say. Is there an accepted rule for where diffrent types of drums should be placed in the mixer, i.e that basedrums should be placed to the left and the hihats to the right? If so, my resulting question is, whats the reason for that?

This is probably a newbie kind a question, but what the ... Thanks in advance! /sw

if everything is in one Section of the stereo spectrum it sounds like shyt so you gotta pan everything accordingly to spread it across the spectrum.thats the idea it gets a little more involved than that tho cause you have to do that process with every track,synth,piano and what ever else you have in your song

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply. I know that I have to spread the sounds accross the stereo spectrum but what I really wanted to know is if there's an accepted rule for where to place the diffrent drum types, and if so, what does the rule say? /sw

well there is but it may be up to you and the way things sound basicly if it sounds good then obviously thats where it should go,lol.There are "rules" but you can bend them the only one I wouldnt mess with is the bass drumm should almost allways sit dead center

Back