Limiter/Maximizer on single track?

thapope

Hello. I new to this site and I've prolly a silly question. Can I use limiter or maximizer on single track? Let's say i have good sounding kick but it's not hittin so hard i would like to. I don't want to layer couple kicks because imo in most cases it sounds even worst. I could put compressor for this kick but not everytime it's a fastest option, but when i put limiter i just set an treshold and im almost done. What I want to know - is this the right way of mastering my kicks/snares et cetera?

Are you equalising your kicks when you layer them? If not that is probably why they sound bad.

limitiming or maximizing the kick will definitely not fix that problem, it just boosts the volume of that particular signal. you could turn everthing else down in your mix, to make your kick stand out more... get quality drumsamples and read something about EQ's & proper compression.

Thx for responses. I usually just cut frequences on tracks but not boost anything. I mean when i layer kicks they sound quieter than separate (and i can hear detail of each kick deeper). Thing is im using some shitty "-producer name- kits" that are plenty of on the internet.

The kicks your using probably have similar frequencies,

Try layering a low end kick with a punchy kick, then EQ and adjust the pitch until they sound like one solid kick, the add a bit of compression if needed.

It depends on the kick as to what you do with it. I agree to get a good kick to start with and it is worth spending a bit of time on this as the kick can be so important to the song. Most things you find on the internet will be rubbish and a good choice or good layer is usually needed to get the right choice of instrument here.

Eq and compression can only do so much and that is why it is important to get the right sound to start with. Limiting a kick should certainly not be routine and in my experience is very rare.

You certainly can. Sometimes A certain sound I use has a big transient spike when it first hits and then stays at level volume right after so I will use a limited to squash that initial spike and keep it at a smooth level. You can also use a limiter to squash your bassline so it doesn't rattle like crazy. Never limit what you can and can't do.

I personally rarely layer kicks unless I want to combine a punchy and bassy kick on certain songs. Most solid kick samples don't need to be layered unless your looking for a certain sound.

For a maximizer on a single track I would highly suggest Maximus plugin in Fl studio if use that DAW. Use one of the 5 punchy drums presets, I like the sound they gives your kicks and they will hit harder.

Back