Let's play Name That Preset!

i actually installed the guitar rig lite version, but didnt manage to activate the plugin..its says read info on page 40 in the magazine, but i cant find that edition..thats the only one missing, i can find all the other magazines..

Kanye West's - Heartless

Flutes from IK's - sampletron

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/philharmonik/testimonials/NewsDisplay.php?Id=2010

Kanye West - Robocop

Orchestra (strings/etc.) - IK Philharmonik

"Ken Lewis, top major label Mixer, Engineer, Producer and Musician for over 16 years has done it again. In his fourth #1 album, Kanye West's '808's & Heartbreak' album, he showed the world why he has 6 Grammy's, 48 Gold and Platinum albums and singles, 26 #1 albums and singles, and 14 more Grammy nominations.

Lewis definitely knows his virtual gear and it's no surprise he strictly uses Miroslav Philharmonik in some of his tracks, just like the one on the '808 & Heartbreak' track called 'Robocop.' In the smash hit of the album 'Heartless,' he turned to SampleTron for the staccato flutes. Here's what else Lewis has been up to this year.

"Its been a truly great year as I just scored my fourth #1 album of 2008 with the Kanye West '808's & Heartbreak' album. For that album, I used IK's SampleTron to layer the staccato flutes on 'Heartless', and for a song called "Robocop", Kanye asked me to create a full orchestra. Not only strings, but full woodwinds, brass, strings, and percussion. It was quite an undertaking to say the least, but it came out fantastic. I used IK's Miroslav Philharmonik extensively on 'Robocop' ...When the big soaring orchestral movement comes in the chorus and bridge, that's all me and my IK.

I also recently mixed an album for the biggest artist in Asia, named 'Rain.' I used Classik Studio Reverb on many of the mixes, including the first single 'Rainism.' The album came out October 15th and was #1 across many countries in Asia. I've also been mixing Lee Carr for Jive Records (He's going to be big!) and have been using CSR on his project as well.

I've been using all of the IK instruments on my current production work, hopefully with some luck, you'll be hearing many of those songs on the radio in 2009."

More on Ken Lewis.

IK just got a massive plug there... Damn! Sampletank was pretty good as well. I haven't really played with anything else.

I just remembered and old one!! I used to have a Korg 01-W which I bought strictly because I read that Pharell used it for all of his sequencing (later turned out to be an unwise investment for me, except for when I sold it for more than I paid) It had the Clavi sound from "Lapdance." Exact one, forgot the name of it...

I just remembered and old one!! I used to have a Korg 01-W which I bought strictly because I read that Pharell used it for all of his sequencing (later turned out to be an unwise investment for me, except for when I sold it for more than I paid) It had the Clavi sound from "Lapdance." Exact one, forgot the name of it...

teh korg o1-w has the most classic EP piano ever .

Not a preset, but a lot of stargates drums from are from the modern beats neptunes kit.

Last edited:
lol @ using your own track. hypersonic 2 is nice :D

has anybody mentioned bag pipes from Goliath were used on bagpipes from Baghdad? For some strange reason I was thinking of FP when I woke up :(

Polow has almost every instrument installed i wreckon. I was watching a video on him in the studio and he was saying that he hasn't even been thru half of the sounds and people keep putting stuff on there for him. I would love to try Silk, have some nice sounding stuff on there.

i tried to work with almost ever instrument installed. i dont know how he gets stuff done lol. you get used to certain go to/favorite instruments that the other ones dont even get touched most of the time..

but hey, whatever works lol.

I agree, I try to keep as minimal as I can (which is not very minimal at all) when it comes to what I have installed. That is what is good about reinstalling everything every 6 months or so. When you have a build up of items you don't use anymore (usually freeware you have tried out) you can get rid of it and start fresh.

I can't let go of anything that I have paid for :(

Thug motivation 101, Gangsta music, and Air forces, the modulating organ/synth sample and hold sound shawty redd uses is a preset in the emu proteus called Freeze its also in the proteus xv

freeze is a little wormy bass, do you know the actual patch?

Back