The length of a bridge in a song....

IMthatGUY

How long does the length(in bars)of a bridge in a song have to be generally speaking...I was thinking 4 but could it be 8...?

I'd say you just can't say for sure. I usualy keep the bridge around four. Sometimes I only use one measure. Sometimes its eight. Sometimes I'll have several different bridges that are different measures and track combinations. I can never tell what its going to be, cause I usualy take a bunch of tracks and fit them together as a song. There are just so many combinations.

Peace,
Brandon

IMthatGUY said:
How long does the length(in bars)of a bridge in a song have to be generally speaking...I was thinking 4 but could it be 8...?

it can be 4, 8, 2, 16, 3, whatever...

there is no "rule"... it should be whatever the song "wants" it to be

I think what he probably meant was how long is it usually. I'd say bridges are usually 4 or 8, depending on how long you or the vocalist want it to be.

If you wanna go the "long" route (lol) just listen to tracks, see what others do.

normally a bridge is 8 bars long...this why it's often referred to as a 'middle 8' which usually comes just before the last chorus section at the end of the track...but of course there are variations on this...but for the most part it's 8 bars...especially on commerical music.

just grab a handful of tunes and count the bars and you'll see.

If you're talkin hip hop... 4 bar bridges are common...

If I'm not mistaken 50 cent kinda brought the bridge back into hip hop, and it's used as a break from the monotony (ex: in "What up Blood", the bridge is "We don't play that.... G-Unit we don't play around"...

Back