Learning Sound Design.

The synth I started out with back in the days when I first dived into sounddesign was Harmor by Image-Line, it has a really simple interface and gives you a good feeling of control when trying stuff out.

i work with fl studio

i started making sounds with 3xosc

choosing simple wave forms and envelopes

second was harmor i think its easy to work with and you have everything there you need ( additive synth )

third was sytrus ( fm synth ) i think fm synths are cool and you want to have one of them

and i still work with these synths

i think the best synths are those you can learn
so i think its good to have a synth that also other people have so you can learn from them, instead of having a synth that nobody have it you will have it more difficult to learn and thats not cool no matter how good that synth is

Alotta variables.

Sampling methods
Synthesis methods
types of synthesis
Whether or not a vst can do a type of method blah.

With that being said, due to the nature of the question I would recommend learning the basics of synthesis as the controls carry over to most vsts.
Learning subtractive as example automatically gives you control over most subtractive synths.
Learning each type of synthesis gives you control over the type you know.

Zebra is a wavetable/fm/spectral/subtractive synth for instance.
harmor is spectral/subtractive not sure what else did not use it much when I used fl but sytrus might be additive I think.
3xosc stacking in the patcher though that'd be modular subtractive method.

I'd recommend the built in stuff for whatever daw you use.

I personally look at "sound design" as the kind of collection of methods described above, as opposed to just having some magical do-it-all "top sound design plugin". I guess if you really want to stick with one thing, you'd probably be looking at Alchemy (that's unfortunately only available in Logic these days), Omnisphere or, say, Reaktor.

Back