Learning to play instruments

Bmoney12B

Ok I'm just getting into making music through fl studio and other programs but.. I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar and piano so my question is.. does learning how to play instruments help you produce better music.. is there an advantage to learning how to play instruments or do you guys think you can accomplish what you need just using samples of instruments and arranging them on a computer or mpc?? I know this is a random question hope I put it in the right place.. but if theres anyone out here that actually plays I would love some feedback.. even from the people who dont play

u can do it both ways, but when I started taking piano and guitar lessons, even though it was just a year for both, I saw my ability grow a whole lot. And when I started to really try and learn music theory and composing, it wasn't as hard because I heard and practiced a lot the techniques and terms before...

an instrument unlocks what is in your head and allows it to emerge via your hands

the more you learn about how to play one, the more likely it is that you can take what you hear in your head and actually play it live - no more guessing, no more mousing notes in until you find the right ones

Ok I'm just getting into making music through fl studio and other programs but.. I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar and piano so my question is.. does learning how to play instruments help you produce better music.. is there an advantage to learning how to play instruments or do you guys think you can accomplish what you need just using samples of instruments and arranging them on a computer or mpc?? I know this is a random question hope I put it in the right place.. but if theres anyone out here that actually plays I would love some feedback.. even from the people who dont play
The ability to express a musical idea EXACTLY the way you heard it in your head is always an advantage. The trick is sticking with it long enough to develop that skill.

Yea its amazing the diff from me not knowing scales and chords to now prepare yourself for frustration its not easy at all unless your gifted with music ability I have been practicing every night chords and new scales many many hours but its worth it

it's all about how you want to create. i do think you should have a knowledge of a music (chords, scales, theory), but it's not necessary to be an expert player. a lot of great producers (quicny, limbo, ye) have musicians on their team and focus more on producing the entire record.

but, i've asked a couple established producers (S1, cardiak, dj khalil) who don't play (or play extremely well) and they've all told me if they could've went back they would've worked at being better at the keys.

Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback, I'm in school now and busy a lot but when I get some free time I think I might take up the piano first.

Yes learning another instrument can help you produce way better music. There's nothing that can beat a live guitar player or Sax player no matter how good you can play the keys.

That's why samples sound so good in hip hop..those samples usually come from a live recording. A live playing instrument is way more expressive and emotional rather than mousing in notes in a grid or trying to play them with a keyboard.

green-light.jpg

Last edited:
Learning to play a single instrument will help you progress further, there is no doubt in that. The real kicker is learning theory, once you start on your way to learning some fundamentals of theory then, what ever instrument you choose after that is only a matter of time before you start speaking through it (finding your voice). If the foundation of music theory is decent then all other things come with time....facility, vocabulary, proficiency.

Like Yoda said "do or do not, there is not try"

"I think I might take up the piano first" not a very empowering phase for motivation.

it's all about how you want to create. i do think you should have a knowledge of a music (chords, scales, theory), but it's not necessary to be an expert player. a lot of great producers (quicny, limbo, ye) have musicians on their team and focus more on producing the entire record.

but, i've asked a couple established producers (S1, cardiak, dj khalil) who don't play (or play extremely well) and they've all told me if they could've went back they would've worked at being better at the keys.

Quincy as in Quincy Jones???? - he is a very fine trombonist and piano player, iow, he is a musician first , an arranger second and a producer 3rd

nice to hear that the established producers you talk to all say they would spend more time getting better at keyboard if they could go back - thing to tell them is they can still do this it is simply down to attitude and practice.......

i would say it helps, if you can play what you are writing IMO it gets you a little more connected to it, and also, if you ever just have a random song idea pop into your head you can pick up that guitar/piano ect. and play the melody out to see how it sounds. Maybe it needs more bass, maybe you just thought of a really cool background track to go with it. in any case, as i player of many instruments, i encourage you to learn one or more of your own =)

For producing I would definitely advise keys. Not only are keys what you're most likely to be using as producer, but the way they're laid out really helps you learn and visualize the chords, scales, intervals, and other theory behind what you're playing.

I grew up playing piano and other instruments and it's massively helpful, I feel pretty comfortable composing as a result. Unfortunately, it does me no good on the sound engineering aspect of producing, where I feel quite ignorant. But that's another topic.

Yes! I am multi-instrumental and with each one I learn, I understand more about theory and the concept of musicality. It's easy to create techno beats and synth melodies, but you never truly understand the spirit of music without learning an instrument. You will discover things about music through playing a physical instrument that you would otherwise overlook using strictly electronic equipment.

all this positive feedback is really helpful and its no longer a question for me now I'm going to start lessons ASAP.. are the keys something I could learn from youtube videos are am I better of with lessons? keep in mind that I have no training in music at all.. I'm about to graduate college and I havent even taken anything music related although I'm starting to wish I had.

Last edited:
getting yourself a flesh teacher means that they can actually move your hands into the correct positions, tell you you need: to sit straighter, be more relaxed and so on.

Plus you can ask a question as it occurs to you rather than having to leave a message and hope that they will get back to you

of course, I may be biased as I am teacher of instruments (and theory and composition and production and ....) in real life

Last edited:
getting yourself a flesh teacher means that they can actually move your hands into the correct positions, tell you you need: to sit straighter, be more relaxed and so on.

Plus you can ask a question as it occurs to you rather than having to leave a message and hope that they will get back to you

of course, I may be biased as I am teacher of instruments (and theory and composition and production and ....) in real life
Second this. Carpal tunnel is no damn joke.....OP, get a teacher.

Back