Is learning music theory worth it?

I just started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago once a week and I can notice a diff in my music already some people just have a ear for music and dont really need it but I know I sure do and I am greatful nothing more emberrasing then ur at the studio a artist asks what cord progression you use and ur like FL studio man its new and all I need

This might be me talking out of my ass but I would put money on every "superproducer" out there being adept with music theory. The 'disgraced' Scott Storch can play the keys really well.

It helps if you're just sample based too, when I started out I tried making some sampled beats and I just couldn't get it. I couldn't figure out how to chop my samples, where to chop them and how to play them out. Some knowledge with basic music theory (mainly keeping time) and some acquired rhythm from practicing playing the piano have helped out a lot. I made my first sampled beat the other day since I started getting more serious and learning and it was so much easer. I'm not saying it was a stellar beat by any means, I am still very much a beginner but chopping it up and playing it back was a lot easier because I have the knowledge that helped me chop it up into a 4 or 8 bar loop, and then chop it up per beat, which made it way easier to timestretch and play over a new tempo.

Basically, if you're serious about producing and want to make a career out of it, learn your theory. Every great producer I've seen on YouTube knows their theory and sometimes learnt and played real instruments when they were a kid.

Even if you're not serious and just make beats for fun to relieve stress like me, music theory knowledge helps make it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
I just started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago once a week and I can notice a diff in my music already some people just have a ear for music and dont really need it but I know I sure do and I am greatful nothing more emberrasing then ur at the studio a artist asks what cord progression you use and ur like FL studio man its new and all I need

i cannot wait to take piano lessons!

music theory sucks balls but you gotta do it

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I really hate music theory though :cry:

music theory sucks balls but you gotta do it

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I really hate music theory though :cry:

sounds like you don't care enough to become good at making music.....learning to do anything requires grind and application, doing it well takes even more

No it is boring at first and i love music but my kind of music my teacher is a 60 year old music teacher at my old highschool nice lady shes a christian when she asked what kind of music do i wanna learn to play and i told her hip hop i thought i had a plant growing out the side of my head and i let her listen to some trap instrumentals and she said so pretty much you want dark orchestra movie score type music and i knew she was gonna help me learn and underastand what i want out of lesson i'm the why guy i wanna know why it sounds like that and what makes up the chords and i love that stuff try to find a teacher that understands what you want that is very important

The less music theory you know , the less likely you've been making music. It's worth studying from now till the day you die.

I've been performing and making music my entire life but am finally taking the plunge into some more advanced music theory courses. Has anyone here been to Pyramind in SF? Would love to hear your thoughts!

I'll put it this way.
If you don't know theory, You're gonna use the same scale over again.
You will probably be in the same key over and over again.
Using the same progressions over and over again, in the same harmony over and over again.
Theory gives you boundaries in music at first, then unlocks ways to compose and create music you would have never thought possible.

This, exactly. Your ear is gonna develop into something else as you learn

Back